Background: Fiji became independent in 1970, after nearly a century as a British colony. Democratic rule was interrupted by two military coups in 1987, caused by concern over a government perceived as dominated by the Indian community (descendants of contract laborers brought to the islands by the British in the 19th century). A 1990 constitution favored native Melanesian control of Fiji, but led to heavy Indian emigration; the population loss resulted in economic difficulties, but ensured that Melanesians became the majority. Amendments enacted in 1997 made the constitution more equitable. Free and peaceful elections in 1999 resulted in a government led by an Indo-Fijian, but a coup in May 2000 ushered in a prolonged period of political turmoil. Parliamentary elections held in August 2001 provided Fiji with a democratically elected government and gave a mandate to the government of Prime Minister Laisenia QARASE.
Photos from Viti Levu
Blogs from Viti Levu
Latest Blogs from Viti Levu
- May 21st 2013 Week 22- Fiji- Sun, Sea, Sand and Smiles
by Words: 1428 Photos: 8
- February 17th 2013 Day 70: Natadola beach
by Words: 360 Photos: 3
- February 16th 2013 Day 68: The Jewel of Fiji
by Words: 529 Photos: 9
- February 16th 2013 Day 69: Exploring Suva
by Words: 427 Photos: 1
- February 14th 2013 Day 67: Valentines Day and Lovu Dinner on the Coral Coast
by Words: 428 Photos: 9
- February 13th 2013 Day 66: Arrival in Paradise (oops I mean Fiji)
by Words: 371 Photos: 6
- January 21st 2013 Scones, Surfing & Sunsets....Fiji Style!
by Words: 1127 Photos: 22
- October 9th 2012 Lautoka: Bula Fiji!
by Words: 1471 Photos: 8
- June 4th 2012 Bula Vinaka Fiji
by Words: 4476 Photos: 40
- May 28th 2012 Chilly to Chilled
by Words: 1768 Photos: 35
- December 24th 2011 Merry Christmas from Fiji!
by Words: 728 Photos: 49
- August 4th 2011 Fiji
by Words: 877 Photos: 13
- May 14th 2011 Dengue Fever
by Words: 1787 Photos: 0
- May 7th 2011 7.5. - Warmes und heißes Wasser, Schlamm und Fruchsaft
by Words: 791 Photos: 28
- April 2nd 2011 Toberua
by Words: 392 Photos: 13
- March 2nd 2011 The last day at school
by Words: 877 Photos: 0
- March 2nd 2011 Photos from Fiji
by Words: 44 Photos: 22
- February 25th 2011 I have discovered the sausage rolls!
by Words: 3493 Photos: 0
- February 23rd 2011 This week in school
by Words: 347 Photos: 5
- February 21st 2011 I am now a rugby addict!
by Words: 1912 Photos: 0