Background: Fiji became independent in 1970, after nearly a century as a British colony. Democratic rule was interrupted by two military coups in 1987, caused by concern over a government perceived as dominated by the Indian community (descendants of contract laborers brought to the islands by the British in the 19th century). A 1990 constitution favored native Melanesian control of Fiji, but led to heavy Indian emigration; the population loss resulted in economic difficulties, but ensured that Melanesians became the majority. Amendments enacted in 1997 made the constitution more equitable. Free and peaceful elections in 1999 resulted in a government led by an Indo-Fijian, but a coup in May 2000 ushered in a prolonged period of political turmoil. Parliamentary elections held in August 2001 provided Fiji with a democratically elected government and gave a mandate to the government of Prime Minister Laisenia QARASE.
Photos from Levuka
Blogs from Levuka
Latest Blogs from Levuka
- October 28th 2011 Don’t Walk so Fast!!! It might be a Crime!!
by Words: 1958 Photos: 0
- February 15th 2011 Bus, ferry, bus and the most interesting road yet!
by Words: 1864 Photos: 14
- February 15th 2011 Levuka! This is it?
by Words: 4667 Photos: 16
- November 8th 2008 Levuka, Lovoni and a long skirt!
by Words: 1409 Photos: 12
- November 2nd 2008 fiji
by Words: 2 Photos: 6
- October 27th 2008 Open boat, sea snakes, islands and adventure!
by Words: 1027 Photos: 16
- October 27th 2008 An unexpected priviledge, visit to Moturiki School Fair
by Words: 600 Photos: 13
- October 20th 2008 Fiji
by Words: 764 Photos: 20
- June 23rd 2008 Levuka funeral
by Words: 64 Photos: 5
- June 21st 2008 Fijian chief's funeral
by Words: 316 Photos: 6
- June 21st 2008 scuba pictures
by Words: 2 Photos: 2
- February 3rd 2008 Before and after Gene
by Words: 526 Photos: 6
- August 28th 2006 The Colours of Levuka and the mystery of Fiji Gold
by Words: 483 Photos: 19