Fijian chief's funeral


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Ovalau » Levuka
June 21st 2008
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have been to countries where the people are friendly but Fiji really takes the cake. The native Fijians always say Bula to us with a big smile. They often shake our hands and ask us where we're from, where we're going, and if we like Fiji. We spoke to one man who recently got back from Iraq where he served as a soldier for the UN. Another woman spent her lunch break sitting with us to make sure that we caught the right bus.

We spent our first two nights at a tiny speck of an island called Nananu-i-ra. We went diving and saw tons of coral, some beautiful lion fish and a nudibranch about the size of your palm that was orange brown and white. Toby took a picture of the nudibranch but those taken in deep water don't seem to come out very well. I'll attach it anyway.

We came to Levuka on another island called Ovalau. There were at least 100 people on the ferry dressed in black and a couple of women told us that the Chief in Levuka died and they were all going to the funeral on Monday. We walked down a
owner of Safari Lodge & daughterowner of Safari Lodge & daughterowner of Safari Lodge & daughter

Barbara, that little puppy in the back loved to bite your legs and feet. Elise just kissed her dad Warren goodbye.
road yesterday and first some boys about 18-19 gave us some taro. And then we walked by a bunch of people under a shelter in front of a building and they asked us to stay for lunch. How nice is that?! So we ended up eating beef stew which was made from the cow we saw being slaughtered a few hours earlier. They told us that we should stay for the funeral and it would be okay if we take pictures. Apparently a news station is going to be reporting on it anyway. Toby had to buy a black sulu, a men's wrap around skirt, to wear to the funeral. Will post tons of pics of this event!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

crazy tourist outfitcrazy tourist outfit
crazy tourist outfit

I've heard enough about Americans in bermuda shorts and black socks. This guy in boots, shorts and a leather PURSE holster has got to win the prize for dorkiest tourist. Not an American for a change!
Native Fijian parrotNative Fijian parrot
Native Fijian parrot

You can't tell in this picture but the parrot's blue tail is about 7" long.
Toby eating with the localsToby eating with the locals
Toby eating with the locals

The beef in this stew came from a cow we saw being slaughtered next to the road just hours before.
cow being slaughtered for funeral guestscow being slaughtered for funeral guests
cow being slaughtered for funeral guests

Sorry Chris! I didn't want to include this but Toby talked me into it.


22nd June 2008

I really wish I could sit right next to Toby with the beef stew!
22nd June 2008

good time
You guys look like your having a blast. I'll keep watching for your updates. Thanks for sending them my way. Looks beautiful there.
23rd June 2008

beef stew
You should have been here today for the real funeral. We had deer, pork and chicken. Toby and I shared a plate but it was still a ton of food!
23rd June 2008

Fiji is great
Yep, it really is beautiful here. And I just can't believe how few tourists we have come by here. It's like a best kept secret!
23rd June 2008

hubba hubba
Pics of Toby in a skirt coming soon. He was bitching about how hard it was just to step up on a curb in the thing, "how do women WEAR these?!" Bitch, bitch, bitch. ;-) I don't have Paul and Autis' phone number handy but I have a couple of email addresses for them: AtisandPaul@aol.com paulrp@mac.com If you go over there for dinner while we're gone please don't tell us. We don't want to hear about all the tasty stuff that we're missing!
23rd June 2008

Looks like you're having fun! Don't think I could watch the cow being slaughtered and then enjoy the stew.......too real for me. Can't wait to see the skirt pictures. Tell Toby to not complain....at least he didn't have to put heels on too. KP
23rd June 2008

Toby Skirt
Asked Kris to post me on the blog location. What is so unusual about Toby in a skirt? He's always pushing the envelope I am told. Hopefully he is using proper etiquette. Be safe. Keep posting.
24th June 2008

Yummy!
I would love to be there eating that whole cow. Have fun.
24th June 2008

Great start to your trip!
What a great start to your trip! It sounds and looks wonderful. Even the dead cow. The scenery around the cow is so green. Waiting to read more about the actual funeral/feast. Not missing much here, except a heat wave.
28th June 2008

Glad you guys got the blog
I added Suzy's work email just to be sure.
28th June 2008

LOL!
And he didn't even have to wear nylons!
28th June 2008

The starfish
It really is blue. Glad you like the blog.
28th June 2008

LOL!
You and my Chinese sister-in-law were the only ones who responded that way. Everyone else is grossed out. Wussies! :)

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb