Cooinda and beyond


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
July 27th 2009
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Cooinda at lunchtime on 23/7/2009.
To make the most of our time there we booked ourselves onto a sunset cruise of Yellow water and a safari for the following day. Richards choice, we are going walkabout to see how the traditional Aboriginal people live. Interesting but I dont think it will be a luxury event!

The Yellow water Cruise was fantastic. Our Guide Mark was great. He really was larger than life in more ways than one and he brought the whole trip to life. We were treated to some amazing sights and he shared his extensive knowledge in a way which made the time just fly. We certainly saw our share of crocs and wildlife.
At the end of the cruise, as soon as we had viewed the spectacular sunset, on Marks advice we all ran for the bus because the major wildlife attraction was us. The mosquitos were out in their droves.

Poor Mike seems to be the favourite flavour our of us. Richard has been boasting just one nip, I've got a couple but Mike.............. covered. Poor thing, but we do have after bite stuff.

The safari was something else!

As I said before I am not your natual camper and I wasn't too sure what to expect.
It was very hands on. I don't think I have ever been so dirty. I was covered with red dust from the open sided 4WD vehicle we travelled in but so was everyone else. Well almost. We did have a Frenchwomen and her 3 children with us who seemed to remain immaculate almost to the end. The campfire finally put paid to their white shorts.

On route we were instructed in the collection and preparation of their food. We gathered wood for the campfire. Travelled through the bush and ate bush tucker/medicine. The ants we ate did in fact taste a bit like lemon. One of Richard's was still alive and tried to bite him back. He threw him yards when he realised that one of his handful was still moving.

At the end of our safari 3 Aboriginal ladies joined us and cooked us a traditional meal. It was smashing.
I helped pluck the geese.
We ate Back & white geese, Buffalo, sweet potato. ordinary potato and damper. (a bread made by cooking the dough in the ash of the fire) Damper was not traditional but very good with the meat.

We were shattered after a long hot day out on safari and when we got back to the site we sat with our new neighbour Kevin who gave us the gen on where to go when we move on to Katherine. Kevin actually lives in Darwin an has invited us back to his place when we travel back there next week. He is keen for us to see the 'Milky Way' from his property because he has acres and acres unspoilt by artificial light.
I must say the night sky here is really somthing else and the sight of the milky way is just great. If we have time before we fly to Sydney we may take him up on the offer and give him a call.


Advertisement



29th July 2009

crocs
what colour are the crocs and did you buy a pair each

Tot: 0.475s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.3461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb