No left turn


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
December 6th 2009
Published: December 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 224 - Perth Motoplex to Woodman Point, Munster (Perth)

What a great day we had yesterday and how awesome it was to wake up still at the Motorplex this morning - no hoolican hoons here! When we poked our head out of our door the pits were already quite deserted, most had probably left late last night but we’d been too shattered to notice.

We packed up the caravan, had a quick shower and then set off for the caravan park where the Reeves family spent last night. It turned out to be 20 minutes down the road and we arrived for check in just gone 8am which seemed to take the lady receptionist a bit by surprise! There were no dramas though as we’d spied a free pitch opposite the Reeves so once she’d found it on the computer she checked us in and off we went. As with a lot of the caravan parks there was a groundsman to see us on to the pitch, Darryl hates it when they do this and this morning hated it even more when the chap took us to the pitch the wrong way round!

Simone has found out about a Christmas pageant being held in the city today so we quickly set up and then navigated our way through the highways using Tom Tom (or Wrong John as Simone has renamed it!). There’s an early morning carnival and a mass park full of free / cheap rides for the kids. As we drove closer to the event position it became apparent that to get a parking space you needed to be in the city early this morning. There was a detour to contend with, multiple streets closed for left turns and not a free slot in sight. We missed the carnival procession but just as we’d given up hope and were heading to Kings Park we found some empty grass to sneak the cars on to! We hoped that along with the other 20 odd vehicles already parked up that we wouldn’t find a ticket on our return! We took a chance and started to weave our way towards the fun. There were thousands upon thousands of people here this morning, it must be the signal for the start of Christmas in Perth!

The kids were really excited to see so many rides and first up myself, Kenny, Zoe and Mark went on the twister thing where the cages turn up side down as the main wheel spins. It was a great way to start the day but I wasn’t sure the pieces of toast I ate before we left would stay where they were! Mark was yelling the whole time he was on the ride, Darryl & Simone reckoned they could hear him above the helicopter that landed just behind them - bless him, he’s not keen on heights!

We spent a good while walking around checking out the different rides, activities and generally enjoying the atmosphere down in Langley Park then hot footed it towards Kings Park where we’d arranged to meet the Elliotts. There’s a lot of road works going on around the park at the moment but we got parked up easily enough and headed to the café where they’d said they were … I couldn’t see them, darn, wrong café! Rather than being at the Botanical café in the centre of Kings Park they were in the Zamia café further around. Whoops! Back in the cars we went and after a 5 minute drive and 10 minute search for a parking space we wandered through the very picturesque Zamia park to be reunited with this lovely family. Lachie was the first to run up for a hug, closely followed by Zali and then hugs all round with Bel and Nige - we’ve missed these guys a lot but there’s something different about them … could it be that they’re clean now that they’re living in a house?!!

We have a great catch up with their news, Nige has hopefully got some work to start on Monday which is fabulous and will give them a boost to their funds for when they get back on the road. Both sets of kids (Reeves and Elliotts) are full of beans and it’s great to see them slot together instantly as if they’ve never been apart.

It’s beautiful here but very, very busy with lots of groups seemingly having their Christmas parties. We hear the roar of a motorbike and then along came Santa but wait a minute, he’s dressed in blue. That’s never right surely, well it is if you’re a Manchester City football supporter apparently and there’s a group here of devoted fans! How funny is that, we knew that Perth is a big favourite for ex-pats but this is ridiculous! The blue Santa gave all the kids sweets and then started to dish out presents, it was beautiful to watch.

Simone had made us all lunch before we left, luckily Darryl had remembered to pack ours in the rucksack while Simone had left theirs in the fridge back at camp! Bel & Nige had catered for everyone though and there was plenty of cooked chicken and rolls to go round so nobody starved or even went hungry.

Dee, Sean, Cody and Bae are also in Perth and quite close by so they join us too and in no time at all everyone is having a great time and an international game of Frisbee kicks off! It all started because technically we’ve invaded an area already reserved and in partial use by a big group from Korea. When we started throwing the Frisbee around unintentionally it kept landing in the middle of this other group so eventually they joined in with the throwing and catching fun too. It was awesome and they clearly loved it.

Before we left the kids found a huge pile of ice under a small tree. It looked to have been abandoned by another group but whether it was still required or not the kids made excellent use of it and engaged in a full on ice fling! There was no favouritism here as blocks of freezing ice were flung down backs, shorts and where ever the kids could reach. Brilliant fun and very welcome on such a hot day!

The Elliotts decided to come back to camp for a BBQ tonight but first they ducked up to Kings Park to take in the tree walk. Hopefully we’ll do this before we leave Perth completely but for today we headed back to camp via good old Woolies and a bottle shop! Beth and I danced our way around the aisles looking for dinner supplies (it was much more fun than just walking around I can tell you!) and then we went to the bottle shop and were delighted to see a new wine has been brought out in ‘our’ honour! DASH is a wine all the way from New Zealand - would you adam and eve it! How funny!

The evening back at camp was terrific, what a good laugh we had there. The boys BBQ’d while the girls relaxed and the kids enjoyed playing in the playground. They game up with a great game where you have to lie down in the sand pit, fill your T-Shirt with sand and when someone shouts ‘Go’, empty the sand and run to the finish post! Hilarious!

The fun and games weren’t over though and Simone had us all in stitches teaching us the ‘Button’ song. She stood in front of us with the kids alongside her and then said aloud in her beautiful rhythmic voice:
“Hi my name is Joe, I’ve got a wife and three kids and I work in a button factory. One day, my boss said to me ‘Joe are you busy’ I said “No”.
He said “Well push this button with your left hand.”

So she’s now standing there pushing the imaginary button with her left hand. And then she continues with:

“Hi my name is Joe, I’ve got a wife and three kids and I work in a button factory. One day, my boss said to me ‘Joe are you busy’ I said “No”. He said ‘Well push this button with your right hand”.

At which point Simone starts pushing the imaginary button with her right hand, alternating the button pushing she’s still doing with her left hand. Got the picture of the actions yet?

So the next verses are ‘Well push this button with your left foot’ followed by ‘Well push this button with your right foot’ and then ‘Well push this button with your bum then’ and then there’s ‘Well push this button with your head then’ and finally ‘Well push this button with your tongue’.

Here we have this gloriously intelligent but hilarious lady pushing alternate buttons with her hands, marching with her feet, sticking her bum our, nodding her head and then poking her tonque out all at the same time whilst she makes her way through the final verse which is of course (say this whilst doing all of the above or at least with your tongue poking out for effect!)

“Hi my name is Joe, I’ve got a wife and three kids and I work in a button factory. One day, my boss said to me ‘Joe are you busy?’ I said YES!

After this came the Pirate song, which we will learn and teach to anyone who wants to learn it when we get home or further along on the road but that was funny too.

With the kids happily scoffing ice cream and the adults laughing at the silly songs it was another great evening, we’re savouring these moments with this group, friends for life.

Dar and Sar
x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Lachie during the sandpit game!Lachie during the sandpit game!
Lachie during the sandpit game!

Thanks to Simone for this photo


13th December 2009

HI Ben does the button joke in a nearly fab brum accent!!! Ask him when you return take care and continue with the updates there a good read! love em xxxx

Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 136; dbt: 0.1462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb