Pemby...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Pemberton
September 20th 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey gang.

As you've all been rubbing it in that we've swopped seasons and you're getting a good deal for a change, I feel I should tell you spring has sprung! Weather is slowly improving, rolling hills are looking amazing right now and its almost time to turn off my electric blanket! I have been working hard over here doing lots of hours and have settled in well. Locals are actually pretty cool and I've had a few drunken eves at various farms. If anyone needs ANY fresh produce, im your woman! Ha ha.

Now what have I been up to... Had a lovely day out with a local bar propper Turk. We went in his boat down the Donnelly river, which took us all the way to the ocean so we parked on the beach and took a stroll. The area is surrounded by national park and a lot of the locals have huts along the riverside they go to in the summer so its a case off filling the boat with food and booze and escaping for a weekend. Not bad eh? Also went to Windy Harbour, which again was a coastal spot that seems to be filled with holiday houses of locals. This is what happens when families live in areas for years! On the way back to Pemby I climbed another 70m up a tree to check out the view. The Karri forest is well known for all these tall old trees...

Went to Salitage winery with Mark and Holly from work and oh my god, every single wine was fab. Pemberton is not known incredibly well for its wine as they've only been growing grapes last 20 years. But with the climate of Bordeaux, its definately up and coming. Which also explains why they've also introduced oak trees and truffles locally and now the area is the largest truffle producer of the southern hemisphere, and are seriously giving France competition.

Popped to Bunbury, the nearest big town - and only 2 hours away! Not particularly exciting place but had a nice stroll down the beach and did a spot of shopping. Borrowed a car and went to Margaret River for a day trip with Holly. Loadsa wineries, choc factory, cheese factory... nice day! I was driving so had to remain very restrained on the wine front but dont worry, I made up for it with the cheese and choc! Tried some lavender wine at a lavender farm which was interesting. Only bottle I bought was a sparkling shiraz - meads, you would totally love it.

Apart from that, its all been work work work! Enjoying myself though. Lots of late night drinking too 😊 and a few post work drives over sand dunes in a 4x4 down to a house by the sea...

Time to leave now as Ive made the money I needed and seen all the sights. Had a great time despite the remoteness. Plus, I need to find some sunshine as Im looking too pale for my liking! So its back to Perth and then I'll head up the west coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Amazing Maze!Amazing Maze!
Amazing Maze!

Me and Holly being big kids
In the pubIn the pub
In the pub

Kitchen hands Sellah, Rani and Caine
BIG puddle!BIG puddle!
BIG puddle!

we drove through it but stopped for a photo op! gotta love a 4x4!


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb