Gill Goes.... Trekking the Bibbulmun Track ... Pemberton


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Pemberton
June 6th 2016
Published: January 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 33

Beedelup Shelter to Pemberton

25km

For the first time in a week spent with the sisters I leave after them at 07:50. It's not that I slept in (despite a loud multi person snoring night) or that I am suddenly disorganised today, it's more a case of that bittersweet feeling that town days are now giving me. Pemberton is only a 25km walk away and Geoff is meeting me, but with that brings all the news of home and that I have to think about that stuff again, I am very much enjoying my escape from the reality of the day to day of my normal life. So, I dawdle.

Enough of that...

Leaving camp there is a seriously big hill- where did it mention that one in the guidebook?!!! Not much further on, I catch the sisters up, say a proper goodbye and overtake them (I've got to say I did really enjoy their company). The walking this morning has been very typical of the last few days- up and down hills and the ever present threat of a slip and fall. Beautiful karri, marri forest. I leave the Beedelup National Park and come out to private property- lush green fields and a perfect, ominous stormy purple sky. It's quite an abrupt contrast to the forest. Climb a stile (!) and take the cow pat path (cautiously) before repeating the stile climbing process again. Encounter several little wooden bridges- really, really slippery (thank goodness for chook wire) and railway formation when back in the forest again. Take a short Whittaker's Peanut Slab break and polish off the rest of my instant coffee and powdered milk (well calculated).

I eventually come out at the Big Brook Arboretum- different tree species from Australia and overseas were planted here in the 1930s to study their growth and response to the local soil and climate so their potential plantation value could be determined. There are big Californian Redwoods and Sequoia as well as other conifers from around the world (Mexico, Canary Islands, Spain to name a few), as well as many different types of eucalypts. The space is actually pretty run down and a lot of the tree signage has deteriorated but it is pleasant nonetheless. There is car access here as well as a couple of other intersecting trails and you can camp for a fee. Reach Big Brook Dam around 11:40 (15.6km mark) and am then walking on actual hard pathway along the southern shore of the dam. Huge expanse with a number of shelters, interpretive boards, a beach and the dam wall. Lots of pedestrian and dog traffic as well as fishermen/women. The water is quite green and reflective under an overcast sky and the people I come across are chatty. Phone reception is reestablished.

https://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/downloads/parks/2009397_big_brook.pdf

I wander into Pemberton around 2pm having crossed roads, more bridges and brooks, the Munda Biddi, the fish ladder at the trout hatchery and the town pool (a dam). A bit more navigating gets me to the visitors centre to meet up with Geoff and my new resupply. Drive off to The Millhouse Cafe for a 9/10 flat white and 10/10 scone with jam and cream before checking in to the Log Cabin BnB in town. It's not a budget option (and there are no on-site laundry facilities) if you are a solo walker, but for us was perfect. The owners were very nice, the Blue Wren room super comfortable and super clean and with an amazing bathroom (as in clean, smelt wonderful, fantastic hot shower and toiletries supplied). Excellent welcome cheese board with homemade bread and a lovely continental breakfast the next morning. Such a treat. Ate a latish dinner at the pub (very busy)- great steak and a glass of red, warm and relaxed (and clean) while the rain poured down.



Impressions of Pemberton - A great forest town with lots of infrastructure- lots of activities, accommodation and food options at all price points. There is also a post office, laundromat, supermarket and bottleshop. Many people take a rest day here and do a resupply - if you have the time or inclination it's a good place for it.

Our bnb- http://www.pembertonlogcabin.com.au/about

Body assessment- Excellent.

Total people seen for the day - Zero until Big Brook Dam then lots




** Leftover from re-supply Box 6- 4 vita wheats, 2 trail mix, 1 special K bar (taste of nothingness apart from sugar and artificial fruit), Panadol and anti-inflammatory tabs- these all go home with Geoff. In Pemberton I add a few more things to my supply- a big fat bread roll and 3 lumps of cheese (courtesy of the bnb cheese platter yesterday), a mandarin, a banana and an apple (courtesy of the bnb breakfast this morning)





Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement





Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb