Gill Goes... Trekking the Bibbulmun Track... Beavis Shelter, Beedelup Shelter


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Pemberton
June 4th 2016
Published: January 13th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 31, 32

Boarding House to Beavis, Beavis to Beedelup

21.2km, 22km

Rain, rain, rain. Clearly affecting my face- today it looks very old lady... settling is required (a friend, Karen, told me once that as you get older your face "settles" through the day- I am beginning to agree with her). Rain, rain, rain. Stops at 0800, out of the shelter at 08:10. Even though the rain has stopped there is 7.5kms of waterbush to contend with. The waterbush is absolutely laden with water and every movement creates a waterfall. No matter which way you move the bush will flick or whack you across the face, head, neck, etc and release a cascade of water. Then it rains again. Rainbow. Rain. Waterbush. The actual terrain wasn't arduous at this point, just wet.

The actual terrain then became .... ascending. First big one was after the amazing Wirraway Bridge- one single felled karri and suspension wires (super slippery, super stunning). Calf burning ascent but with good result- the sun cuts through and I'm overlooking the valley. Coffee and sesame snaps are required. The section "fondly" known as The Rollercoaster begins, a total of 800m of ascents. Very slippery, many near miss slips. For the last mountain my headphones go in, music is my distraction. Then Beavis suddenly appears! Usual camp routine- wood, setup for night, bird bath, fire, quiz, food, sleep.

Actually a great hiking day.

Next day is the walk out of the Donnelly River Valley. I have hardly made any notes other than that I took my first break at 9.8km. Clearly was completely enamored by the fungi fest in the forest by the number of photos. The next notation is that noise began 10km later at Karri Valley, a resort on the lake. Ate half of my lunch on a rickety bench with mosquitos and people. The Beedelup Falls area was only another km further on- massive numbers of people and infrastructure- ramps, walkways, stairs, toilets, signage, seats, people....lots of people. The falls were very picturesque though. 2km later I was in camp- phew. Less people.

Wet wood, difficult fire to get going. Last quiz night!

Cold night.



Impressions of Beavis and Beedelup Shelters - Beavis is stunning in its outlook- there's a dam/billabong in front, deep south configuration. Beedelup campsite was really nice with a lower area with extra seating. You can tell it's close to public access though- there was a fair bit of rubbish lying around and lots of fruit and vege peels (health conscious litterers).

Body assessment- Good, very good. Feeling fit.

Total people seen for the day - Passed 1 sore and sorry E2E hiker on The Rollercoaster (unbelievably, a friend of a work colleague, I later heard she had to bailout at DRV due to a fractured toe), passed 5 day walkers the following day and a million people at KV and Beedelup. The sisters and the quiz family were my hut companions for both nights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement
















Tot: 0.328s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 27; qc: 138; dbt: 0.1356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb