NW Trip Day 2 - Kalbarri and the Stromatalites! - April 5, 2007


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Hamelin Pool
April 20th 2007
Published: April 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we woke up to a magnificent sight - a rainbow! After snapping a few pictures, we packed up camp, had our breakfast and were on our way further north.

Our first stop was a magnificent spot called Eagle's Nest. It's a little lookout spot along the coast atop some magnificent gorges. We then made a stop in the town of Kalbarri where some of the smarter members of our group purchased bug hats. I had brought two bandanas to use as my fly protection, and they proved to be quite effective, although slightly visually imparing.

We then headed to Kalbarri National Park and went for a hike through the Murchison River gorge. This was our first experience with our newfound enemis - THE FLIES!! They were so bad we kept our hike brief and decided to push onwards and not have lunch there as planned.

Unfortunately, the spot we did stop at ALSO had lots of flies. It remains our record for fastest lunch of the whole trip.

We finally arrived at our final destination of Hamelin Pool, site of the world-famous stromatalites. The owner of the caravan park where we were staying had been
An outback rainbow 2An outback rainbow 2An outback rainbow 2

Can you believe it? It actually formed a COMPLETE arc across the sky! C'est incroyable!!
expecting us - he'd kept his shop open because he that the students that came through always wanted one thing he sold - alcohol. We decided to not let him down.

After setting up camp we headed out to the ocean to see the world-famous STROMATALITES!! Now I've used that word 3 times already and many of you are probably wondering what, exactly, a stromatalite IS. Well they are the WORLD'S OLDEST LIVING THING!! And OMG you'd think something so incredible would be less boring. But they're just single-celled organisms that form in clumps in the water.

The sun was setting while we were with the stromatalites, and it was shaping up to be a good one, so a group of us decided to stay and take about a million pictures of the sunset. "It's getting better!" was the line for the night, since it seemed every second the sunset became more beautiful.

On a side note, I'd just like to point out that only in Western Australia do you get these ocean-front sunsets. Just one of the many hidden gems of this massive (but underated) states.

We headed back to camp in the dark, relieved to discover that flies actually disapear at night! Night would become our most favourite time of day. We ate another delicious dinner 'round the campfire.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Everyone at KalbarriEveryone at Kalbarri
Everyone at Kalbarri

Back row (L to R): Henriikka (from Finland, Heather, Jessica, Lindsey, Athena, Luke, Jason, and John. From row (L to R): Lauren, Kristen, Dafne (ME!!), Rachel, Lyndsey, and Tim.
Dafne sits for a minuteDafne sits for a minute
Dafne sits for a minute

Don't let the smile fool you - the flies were EVERYWHERE!!
STROMATALITES!!STROMATALITES!!
STROMATALITES!!

OMG this is SO worth the trip! Look at them EXIST!!
Group at sunsetGroup at sunset
Group at sunset

L to R: John, Henriikka, Jessica, Luke, Jason, Dafne
Watching the sunsetWatching the sunset
Watching the sunset

Someone said that pictures of the back of someone looking at the sunset turned out really cool...I think maybe next time it should be straight on and not on an angle. I'll try again sometime...


21st April 2007

great photos!
great photos and humorous captions

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb