A town we would rather forget!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Geraldton
April 16th 2007
Published: April 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived safe and sound at our next destination, this was a place called Geraldton. We only stopped here to break up the journey. At first glance the town seemed really nice, it had a real local feel, but the more we looked around the more it seemed as though it was full of crime. We wanted to stay at the YHA, but when we arrived we found that reception was shut, so we went and slept on the beach for a couple of hours. When we went back we were told there were no rooms, typical! We were told to try another place called Baltavia Backpackers, so we headed off in hope there would be room as these were the only two places we could really stay.

We had checked into probably the strangest, scariest place ever. It was run by the church and full of local Christians and we think, every weirdo in town. They would all gather outside reception it was like something from a horror movie. There was a strict rule of no alcohol on the premises and to our shock, we had been put into a 22 bed dorm! This was definately the strangest place we had stayed and lets just say we didnt get much sleep the first night, but once over the shock we kind of got used to it so the second night wasn't so bad.

Our one full day in Geraldton was spent sight seeing. We decided it would be fun to hire bikes to get around. We cycled from one end of town to the other. The only sight to see was the candy striped lighthouse. This was the funkiest lighthouse we had ever seen. We also took a coastal ride which was nice. We soon got tired and hot so decided to take the bikes back and get the boogie boards out. We went back to the beach down by the lighthouse as when we were there we had noticed there were some decent waves we could catch. Boogie boarding is so much fun!

On the morning we were going to leave we were greated with a smashed car window, the car had been broken into over night along with another four, we were gutted. Luckily there was nothing valuable in there to take we had everything on us. Apparantly it had happened a few weeks ago and some teenage aboriginal boys were the culprits, sneeky blady abos! We were left with a sour taste of Geraldton and we would advise anyone planning to go there not to bother, just drive on by.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb