My, my what a big rock!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Cervantes
April 14th 2007
Published: April 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Perth around midday a little nervous but mostly excited about our road trip. Our first stop was a little town called Cervantes to see the Pinncales. Our trip took around three and a half hours and was fairly univentful, we were quite suprised at how wasy it was to find our way. This was Jo's first experience at long distance driving and as those of you that know Jo know that she can only just find her way out of Southampton. Either that or she runs out of petrol!!! To help pass away the time (as we lost radio signal about an hour into the journey) Sarah came up with the game Who Am I? For those of you that dont know this game you have to think of someone famous either an actor, TV personality, political figure etc and then the other person has to guess who you are by asking questions that you can only answer yes or no to. We abondoned this game after Jo choose those well known English actressess Gywneth Paltrow and Angellina Jollie!!! Sarah decided it was too much for Jo to think and drive at the same time.

We made it to Cervantes which is a cute little one horse town, with pub, motel, petrol station and general store. We stayed at the only hostel in town, which was a really nice place. Once settled we headed for Nambung national park, about 20 mins out of Cervantes, where the Pinnacles are situated. The Pinnacles are thousands of limestone pillars which reach about 4 meters in height and are set in bright yellow sandy dessert. There is a set track where you can drive through them, with various spots where you can stop and get out and walk amoung them and take photos. We went late afternoon so we could watch the sunset as we had read that they cast brillant shadows which can make great photos.

The day had been gorgeouswith bearly a cloud in the skyand the striking blue of the sky and the bright yellow sand and pillars made for some excellent photos. As the sun began to set the colours of the pillars began to change and we were treated to one of the best sunsets both of us had ever seen. The sky looked like it was on fire and we watched in fasination as it changes colours.

We got up early the next morning to check out a couple of look out points that we hadnt had time to see before. One was kangaroo point and the other was Hangover Bay. Not suprisingly two kangaroos jumped out in front of the car as we were driving down to Kangaroo point. Luckily we missed them, good job to as they're not exactly small and would proberly make a right mess of the car!! Both look out points over looked pretty bays with sparkling white sand and deep blue water. It was really peaceful at both spots and reminded us of why we had come to Austrailia. From there we left to head to Geralton with Sarah at the wheel!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Caution Roo SignCaution Roo Sign
Caution Roo Sign

Tell us about it!!!


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb