Dolphins up close


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Monkey Mia
April 18th 2007
Published: April 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Jo feeding NikkiJo feeding NikkiJo feeding Nikki

Move over kids I want to feed the dolphin!! Ha, Ha
We left for Monkey Mia with a smashed window and feeling a little disheartened. My god this was one hell of a trek, it took about 5hrs to get there and the areas seemed to get more and more sparse. We would drive for hours and not see another town, maybe the occassional cattle station but that was about it. We stopped at a road house to get fuel, this was possible the busiest little place. We recon it was a real little gold mine as it was the only petrol station for miles. Weirdly, everyone that worked there were from the uk!!

We had decided to stay in a little place called Denham which was about a twenty minute drive outside Monkey Mia. Denham was a one street town but had all you needed and our accommidation was the nicest yet. It was basically a self contained flat, you had your own kitchen, louge area with T.V and there were two bedrooms, one with four beds and the other with six beds. As luck would have it there was only one other person in our flat. A lovely Canadian lady who proved that you're never to old to travel. We got the free lift to Monkey Mia the next morning. We went through the gates and waited patiently for the dolphins to arrive. We hadnt been waiting very long when the dolphins were spotted off shore and they made their way in for a feed. It was amazing, they came so close, just a couple of meters from where we were stood. People were picked at random to feed them, Jo smiled her sweetest smile and it worked, she was picked. She took a fish and placed it in the water for a dolphin called Nikki, she took the fish right out of her hand and Jo gave a child like smile.

Whilst at Monkey Mia we also went on a catamaran trip to see what other marine wildlife we could see. We were given polarised sunglasses to make it easier to spot the sealife and also yellow sailing jackets as it was a bit chilly on board. These two together made us look very attractive! We loved the catamaran, it was so much fun. We spotted a couple of turles one of which we nearly ran over, they can move really fast when they need to!! We also had a couple of dolphins swim right up to and underneath us. Back on shore we were treated to two more visits from the dolphins. Some people were luckily enough to be swimming at the time and they came up and swam around them. We were in the water too but just not in the right place, although we did have a sting ray come close to us. We stayed for just two nights and then left for Coral Bay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

PelicansPelicans
Pelicans

The other Monkey Mia residents
On the catamaranOn the catamaran
On the catamaran

Looking good!!!!!


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb