Bunbury, Margaret River and back again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Bunbury
March 24th 2011
Published: March 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Swan RiverSwan RiverSwan River

Near Keith and Lorraines house.
A busy week - Saturday we went for tea with our Aussie friends Keith and Lorraine. They live very close to the Swan River. Keith is a keen "paddler" and offered to lend us a Kayak. However, Bull Sharks have been seen in the river (this week) due to the hot weather so we declined! They introduced us to another couple of house swappers from Vancouver, Keith and Robyn. They are staying up in the hills where there have been quite a lot of fires so they had decided to go south for a while to escape the heat.

On Sunday we headed south to the Margaret River area (350K) from Perth. What we didn't know was that once a year they close the freeway for a charity cycle ride. It was Sunday and we had to weave our way through Perth City (beautiful), without Doris our 'sat nav'. We made it and arrived in Bunbury in time for our tee time.

We stayed at The Sancturay Golf Resort. Our room overlooked the 18th green. We had B&B but our room also had some catering facilities so we were able to enjoy eating on our terrace overlooking the course. I enjoyed having an evening swim in the pool and air con in the room!

The course had a lot of water, which for me was quite difficult but I managed most of the holes.

One of the main reasons for staying in Bunbury was to see the Dolphins that visit the harbour and regularly come into shore, where they choose to interact with humans. Sadly they didn't oblige for us, which we understand is the nature of wild animals, sometimes you see them and sometimes you do not. We spent two early mornings sat on the beach but no sightings although we did see a Blue tongue lizard. Still a great way to start your day.

Bunbury, Australind and Bussleton are truly beautiful. They are on the coast but there are several large estuaries on which live abundant wildlife. We saw Cranes, Black Swans, kangaroos, parrots and many other birds. The areas are quite prosperous as mining is big business here in WA.

We did a circular drive through all the vineyards. To say there are 100s is no exaggeration. We did stop at a couple and have a look but we were not really
City BeachCity BeachCity Beach

Our morning swim stop
in the market for large purchases or boozy lunches so we kept going. We ended up in a Brewery, had a fantastic lunch overlooking a vineyard and tasted some beers.

This area south of Perth is much quieter. Once you are out of the towns there is nothing - I mean nothing. Our friends told us when travelling always carry food and water. We went 50miles without seeing a house, garage or person. We did see a couple of huge Kangaroos!

Yesterday Mike got his membership approved at the Western Australian Golf Club (15mins away) www.wagolfclub.com.au so he is hoping to play in a couple of competitions and meet some local golfers after putting in 3 cards to get an Australian handicap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Our lunch stopOur lunch stop
Our lunch stop

A great lunch, near Margaret River
City BeachCity Beach
City Beach

All the beaches roll into one. A great morning walk
Alarm callAlarm call
Alarm call

The birds in the tree behind the house
North BeachNorth Beach
North Beach

All within 10 mins of the house
Typical Aussie homesteadTypical Aussie homestead
Typical Aussie homestead

We passed lots on our travels.
Yanchep ParkYanchep Park
Yanchep Park

A dried up lake!


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb