Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Bunbury
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Bunbury
Latest Blogs from Bunbury
- September 11th 2013 First Stop Bunbury!
by Words: 539 Photos: 12
- September 9th 2013 Do we have to go back??
by Words: 295 Photos: 9
- September 7th 2013 Winding Down
by Words: 432 Photos: 9
- September 3rd 2013 Bunbury
by Words: 544 Photos: 10
- September 2nd 2013 ROAD TRIP Down South!
by Words: 458 Photos: 7
- August 2nd 2013 PERTH TO BUNBURY
by Words: 970 Photos: 23
- January 8th 2013 Har badet i Denmark!
by Words: 210 Photos: 0
- January 3rd 2013 Byvandring og The Maidens
by Words: 136 Photos: 0
- December 30th 2012 Temperaturen paa sit hoejeste
by Words: 361 Photos: 26
- December 28th 2012 Jeg skal vaere surfer dude i mit naeste liv!
by Words: 635 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2012 Delfiner
by Words: 317 Photos: 0
- December 21st 2012 En rokke i vandkanten.... og wow med wow paa!
by Words: 281 Photos: 3
- December 19th 2012 Vi holder til venstre
by Words: 356 Photos: 1
- December 17th 2012 Jul og myg
by Words: 372 Photos: 3
- December 14th 2012 Vores foerste dag down-under
by Words: 374 Photos: 2
- August 11th 2012 Saturday, August 11, 2012
by Words: 921 Photos: 0
- July 9th 2012 Bunbury
by Words: 554 Photos: 21
- April 2nd 2012 18 March - 2 April 2012
by Words: 396 Photos: 0
- April 1st 2012 1 April 2012 (photo)
by Words: 7 Photos: 1
- March 17th 2012 16 - 17 March 2012
by Words: 326 Photos: 0