Guildford, Swan River, Kings Park and photos


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
April 4th 2011
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Still very hot, not a day below 32 but this week it is set to change. By Thursday it should be 28 and the forecast includes showers, which the Aussies are crying out for.

We have been to the Swan Valley this week to the histroric town of Guildford. A settlement was established there in 1829 by Captain James Stirling. As it sits on the banks of the Swan river it soon became a busy river port and trading centre. We did a couple of Heritage Walks along the river and round the town. The chapel of St Mary and St George was consecrated in 1914. All pretty old for Australia!! We are now into our Aussie life and go nowhere without a picnic and water. We sat in the park with the parrots for company and had our lunch.

Now we are more confident with driving in and around a city we ventured into Perth City in the car. Its about 20minutes down the freeway. We had a wonderful day at Kings Park. The Botanic Gardens were amazing. Each area has been planted with indigenous plants and trees from different regions of Australia. WA is unique as it
Swan RiverSwan RiverSwan River

Mike looking at birds and jelly fish
has half of Australia's 25,000 plants species and most of those are not found anywhere else in the world.

I loved the big Boab trees and the Pioneers Womens Memorial which represented the struggles and achievements of WA women.

You couldnt help be moved by the Ceremonial Walk where all the trees had been planted in memory of those fallen in the first world war. The war memorial was also impressive with an eternal flame burning.

The birds we saw in the park were fantastic. We shared our picnic with a large Laughing Kookaburra, Australian Magpies, the very small Weebill and noisy Rainbow Lorikeet. Entry to the park is free as is all car parking.

We went for lunch at Keith and Lorraine's on Saturday where we met up with Keith and Robyn (house swappers from Vancouver, Canada) who like us had spent some time down south to escape the heat of Perth. After a catch up we all went for a walk alongside the Swan River where we saw Spoonbills and a Crane.

Mike has played a few times at the WA golf club and got his handicap, so he is now able to
War memorialWar memorialWar memorial

Kings Park
enter a few competitions. My golf is still only 9 holes (its too hot!) but I am getting on ok with my 4 clubs.








Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Perth CityPerth City
Perth City

A view from Kings Park
Kings Park Kings Park
Kings Park

View of Swan River and Brewery
Lunch with friendsLunch with friends
Lunch with friends

At Keith and Lorraines house. They live just across the road from the Swan River
SpoonbillsSpoonbills
Spoonbills

Swan River


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb