Holiday without a Luggage...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mount Buller
October 9th 2006
Published: October 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 1-3: I'd say a great holiday wouldn’t be as great without the occasional mishaps and disasters. Our luggage got stolen on day 1 of our road trip to Melbourne and it still turned out to be the best trip ever.

We left at 6am in the morning trying to make it to Newcastle before dark. We’ve experienced 4 seasons within 11 and a half hours of our trip to Newcastle. The nice and cool sunny day turned into a scorching weather as we reached New South Wales. We then drove into a wind storm and torrential rain just past Port Macquirie. We had to put on our thick jackets when we stopped over for lunch in some town in NSW as it was freezing cold.

We arrived at our accommodation in Newcastle around 5.30pm just to spend the night. Jamie unloaded our luggage from the car and brought them inside our room one by one. He forgot to bring the last one in.... so voila! - it was quickly gone in few minutes. The manager of the place we were staying at reported it to the cops. All they did was gave us a reference number after taking our personal details. They said they’ll let us know if anything turns up. (Yeah…right! Sorry, but I’m not going to hold my breath on it). We at least expected them to knock on every guest door and ask around if anyone had seen anything. Jamie wasn’t bereaved on losing most of his belongings. He was however fuming that someone might be already wearing his favourite “Captain America” T-shirt.
We left early in the morning to continue our trip to Mansfield which was another 12 hours drive.

The drive from Newcastle to Mansfield was very pleasant. It was a nice cool not so sunny day (a typical spring weather). We drove through nice bridges and rock mountains.

The landscape near Mansfield was simply breathtaking. It reminded me of the scene in “The Sound of Music” when Julie Andrew was singing on the top of the hill. The terrain was hilly and in different shades of green. We arrived at Alzberg Resort at around 7pm. We almost froze as we stepped out of car. Apparently, it’s been snowing for the past 2 days. The temperature went down to -7 during the nights we were there. Although we have the heater
The VillageThe VillageThe Village

Mt. Buller
on, the cold draft seemed to find its way through the door. I couldn't find any rug so I used Jamie's socks to stuff the gap under the door to prevent the cold air from coming in. Jamie was wondering what's his socks doing under the door the next morning...... ;>

The skiing season was well and truly over when we drove up to Mt. Buller. In fact, it has been a bad season for skiers as there was hardly any snowfall. The skiing resort was sustained mainly by snowmaking machines. It just happened that a freak snow storm occurred the night before we went up there.
So, it all worked out well for us. We were the first ones to step on the fresh fallen snow. The place was deserted as it’s already an off-season. We didn’t get to ski, but we still enjoyed throwing snowballs at each other and making snow angels nonetheless.

more fun adventures coming up soon...... Cheers !




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

@ the Summit II@ the Summit II
@ the Summit II

Mt. Buller
HMAS SubmarineHMAS Submarine
HMAS Submarine

on our stop-over at Holsbrook NSW
HMAS Submarine IIHMAS Submarine II
HMAS Submarine II

on our stop-over at Holsbrook NSW
LiamLiam
Liam

First taste of the snow
Ryan and IRyan and I
Ryan and I

Mt. Buller
@ the Summit@ the Summit
@ the Summit

Mt. Buller
RyanRyan
Ryan

Mt. Buller
Jamie & IJamie & I
Jamie & I

Mt. Buller


Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 26; qc: 110; dbt: 0.2261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb