Omeo/Mt Beauty/Mansfield 2016


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mount Beauty
November 12th 2016
Published: November 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 (9/11/16)

Got up just before 9AM. After some busy days decided to have a rest day. More socialising with fellow caravanners & more fishing of the Livingstone River putting a relaxed, leisurely tone on the day. Another 10” brown trout caught became dinner.



Day 7 (10/11/16)

A fine, windy day so got the washing up to date before tomorrows trip to Mt Beauty. More socialising & a couple of leisurely walks before washing the car as it was coated in dust. Hooked up to the caravan ready for the morning & had an early night.



Day 8 (11/11/16)

Left Omeo at 9AM. The road up to Dinner Plain was windy & relatively steep early on before flattening out. The views of patchy snow capped peaks amazing as we drove across the plain on the way up to Mt Hotham.

Stopped in Mt Hotham for a toilet break. Amazed to find it 13C as we expected it to be colder. Quite windy & millions of lycra clad cyclists all poncing about like Tour de France wannabees, hogging the already narrow roads by riding 5 abreast with no spatial awareness or care about other road users around them.

It was a long, narrow, winding road heading down, with several steep sections that made the brakes work extremely hard. By the time we got to Harrietville, the brakes were red hot. Pulled up at a food outlet to let the brakes cool off. Charged $8 for a pie (highway robbery) & surrounded by about 50 cyclists. Still having nightmares about guys in lycra!

Arrived in Mt Beauty at 12.10PM. Set up the van rather quickly in the stifling 26C heat. Amazing how 26C can seem like 40C after a week of sub 20C temperatures.

Went for a walk up the main road. A butcher straight across from the caravan park saw us stock up for a few days, bringing it back to the van before returning to a small brewery next to the butcher. Spent the next 1 ½ hours sampling beer & in conversation with the lady behind the bar & one of the regular locals.

Back on our way up the road, checking out all the shops to find out what was around. Everyone we came into contact with was super friendly, which gave us a very relaxed feel.

We returned to the caravan park, grabbed our camp chairs & walked 20M to the edge of the West Kiewa River which runs along the back of the park. 2 hours odd later (where did the time go?) & several drinks downed it was time for dinner. It was just so relaxing & peaceful; a lovely place to be.

By the time we finished dinner & watched some tv, it was midnight. I was so surprised that we didn’t collapse into bed sooner.



Day 9 (12/11/16)

Intended to be up early to head to Bright, only to be horrified when looking at the watch at 9.20AM! Immediately got dressed & headed off up the road. Had a light bite to eat in Bright along with a cup of tea to get the body going.

Walked around all the streets in very fine, drizzling rain checking out the shops to see what was on offer, making a couple of small purchases. At the end of the main road was another brewery, so just had to stop & sample their offerings. An hour later, purchased some liquid goodies & headed off through Myrtleford on the way to Milawa.

Arrived at Brown Bros vineyard in Milawa where Deb was out the car in record time & in the cellar door in search of wine tasting. There was no shortage of tasting, with generous amounts poured into the glass with each new sampling. Armed with some goodies to take back, it was off to the Milawa Cheese Factory 2km down the road. Sampled some wonderful cheese before making a purchase to enjoy in the coming days.

Returned through Myrtleford to fill up with diesel as it was 10c/L cheaper than Mt Beauty. Took a different route back to Mt Beauty which was nowhere near as mountainous. The caravan park was holding a wedding (of which we were aware) which included a live band. After dinner the noise grew progressively louder, as did the wedding guests. Already several of them were well sauced. We had been advised the noise had a curfew of midnight, before they were told at 12.45AM to shut it off. It was impossible to sleep as the noise resembled a rock concert. Then came the inevitable car horn tooting, slamming doors & loud talking. Not sure what time we got to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb