The Dawn Parade for ANZAC Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
April 30th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 395 (25.04.08)

It had been a while since we'd had one so we were about due for another public holiday. This time it came with a more serious reason in the form of ANZAC Day, a day similar to our Remembrance Day. 25th April marks the anniversary of Australian and New Zealand forces landing at Gallipoli. This was the first military action the Anzacs (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) saw in World War I. The landing at the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey met with fierce resistance and resulted in the deaths of more than 8000 soldiers.

ANZAC Day begins in Melbourne with a Dawn Service at the Shrine of Remembrance in the central Botanic Gardens so we dragged ourselves out of bed, caught the tram into town at about 5.30am and joined hundreds if not thousands of others to gather around the Shrine. We were really impressed with the number of people who'd turned out so early in the morning.

The morning service began with the bugle call piercing the hush - there's something about a lone bugle that reaches right into your heart isn't there? As the service continued the sun began to rise over Melbourne and people prepared to go up into the shrine to lay their wreaths and poppies. It was an incredible thing to witness and we were glad we'd got up early to share in this special day with the people of our host country.

We met up with Tiana and Ash who'd also come in for the service and went back to their flat to help them move to the new place that they'd found. They'd done all the packing and it was a surprisingly stress free move (for all except the cat who didn't like it much!) with everything over to the new house in the space of about 3 hours.

Tiana and Ash took us for some lunch in Elsternwick to thank us for our help with the move and then we went back home for a lazy afternoon and a visit from our friend Coops from work. Our early morning eventually took it's toll in the evening and we both fell asleep on the sofa!

Day 396 (26.04.08) and Day 397 (27.04.08)

Saturday was filled with the usual chores until in the afteroon we headed over to South Melbourne as we both had some work with the catering company. We were going to do two separate carvery events with other staff members from the company. We packed up the vans and went to our respective gigs, Mark to a bowling club event and Chrissie to an event at a brewery where the organisers were kind enough to let her sample some of the ales - yum! The jobs were easy and pretty fun and we headed home at the end of the night with plenty of leftovers. Lots of roast meat (which would turn out to feed us both lunch and dinner for the next week!), a huge bag of salad, some rolls and a large cheesecake - superb - that would save us some cents on the food bill this week!

Up until this point there was still delays on the work going on with Nora.The garage had had some trouble getting someone to do the panel repair work and so the poor buyers were stuck without the van. We decided to invite them over to sunday lunch as we got on well with them and wanted to make sure they knew we were still trying our best to get the van for them as quickly as possible. We had a great lunch and afternoon with Sarah and Duan as they told us a bit about the trip they'd taken to South America.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

ANZAC DayANZAC Day
ANZAC Day

Crowds gather for the dawn service to pay their respects to the men and women who have served their country
Dirty TaigaDirty Taiga
Dirty Taiga

Doesn't like the house move!
Check out my meat!Check out my meat!
Check out my meat!

leftovers from our catering


17th June 2008

Mexico
Fab catching up with your weekends guys! Mine are pretty packed at the moment...trying to get everything in before we leave this dust bowl. See you have booked flights for south america, so when do you get to Mexico?? Can't wait to see you guys again!! Need to do romantic dinner for 4 again! xxxx

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb