Cromer Conservation Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
December 21st 2006
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cromer Conservation Park

50 kms from the city

Cromer Conservation ParkCromer Conservation ParkCromer Conservation Park

Entrance on Western border

Introduction



Desperate to do some walking but taunted by fire, snakes and hot weather, the Hikers did a short walk on Sunday on fire tracks adjacent to Cromer Conservation Park.

Cromer is an overgrown park. There are hardly any recognisable trails - so it can feel scary walking here. The Park is square-shaped and is small enough that you can't get lost without popping out on to a road. There is a water course through it, however, like most of the State of SA, this is currently dry.

We have done the walk recommended in 20 Nature walks through this park (not blogged) and came out scratched, but enchanted by the bird life, as have others. However, reading through the information sheet about the park, they prefer you to use the 'wood cutter's trail' that we used on this visit, to minimise the damage to the park. This trail doesn't go to the water course.

How to get there



Travel from Adelaide to Birdwood and then, as you approach the last major intersection in the town, turn left. This sealed road turns to dirt and the Park is a few km further on the right. See the Route map for more detail.

What happened ...


We had to make this walk a brief one as it was so hot. The bush did not offer much shade or coolness as many plants have died back with the searing summer heat and drought. We stuck to the fire trails around the edge of the Park and walked around the Pine tree plantation. Our lunch spot was a pile of rocks in the shade next to some grazing cows. Although we found a feather from a rosella, the birds had gone, probably searching for water.

Dan says...




It has been so long since this walk - I don't really remember much about it. Mental note: must blog closer to walk date.

Q: Why do parrots always succeed?
A: Because they have no teeth.





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

GateGate
Gate

Leaving wood cutter path and entering fire track
Thick scrubThick scrub
Thick scrub

This is Cromer - very overgrown
Cows in a clearingCows in a clearing
Cows in a clearing

We joined these guys for lunch
ResinResin
Resin

seeping out of a cut pine tree
Fence around the veggie patchFence around the veggie patch
Fence around the veggie patch

Dan and Peter put the gate up around our new veggie patch in the back yard.
Finished fenceFinished fence
Finished fence

All this to keep out two little rabbits
Merry Christmas!Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!

Dan in the process of decorating the Christmas tree.


Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb