Christmas at KI


Advertisement
Published: January 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Fish Cannery

This map shows Cape Jarvis on the top right hand corner, the point at which you leave the Australian mainland and take the ferry to Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island. It is about a 30 minute drive to American River. The walk goes from American River towards Ballast Heads along a winding sea-side path.

Introduction



The Hikers went to Kangaroo Island for a family holiday and treated themselves to a repeat visit of the Fish Cannery walk at American River. Joining us on this walk were three of Dan's cousins (Jessie, Katherine and Joseph), Dan's grandmother (my Mum, Elly) and Dan's Uncle Michael. You may remember we also went on this walk last year - American River at KI - Fish cannery walk.

You can find out more about American River from this web site and from the Postcards web site.

If you are family or friends of the Hikers, you may be also interested to see these other slide shows of our American River holiday looking at


How to get there


The well-marked walk starts at the end of Scenic drive, American River, and heads towards Ballast Head. The Route map in the top left hand corner of this entry will show you where American river is in relation to Kangaroo Island and the Mainland (Cape Jarvis - where the ferry docks). Zoom out to see the roads from Adelaide.

What happened


It was a lovely afternoon for a walk and after all the delicious Christmas indulgence we
Diprotodon spotting on Scenic driveDiprotodon spotting on Scenic driveDiprotodon spotting on Scenic drive

A wooden sculpture of a Diprotodon skeleton can be spied in the front yard of a house on Scenic drive
really did need the exercise. It was Joseph's first bush walk with us (age 2 1/2). Although he had already revealed his potential - the evening before when we had been out wallaby spotting and he had tackled some steep hills with some gusto. To motivate Joseph to keep on going we encouraged him to find and touch each of the blue markers that line the path. These smaller do-able targets are ideal for younger/newer walkers to help push them on. Other assistance was provided by Michael and Katherine, but young Jo did about 75%!o(MISSING)f the 3 km walk on his own legs - and most of the time he was running!

The bush was very dry and open with very little growing in the drought-affected sandy soils. The walk provides spectacular views across the bay. You can see the Oyster farm in the bay which was where our Christmas Eve treats were grown. Although we missed out this time, in the heat of the day it is common to see the large monitor lizards or goanna sunning themselves in the sandy flats near the ruins of the Fish Cannery. If you continue past the Cannery and rock-hop, you may also come
End of Scenic driveEnd of Scenic driveEnd of Scenic drive

Mum, Dan and Sooty
across fairy penguins.

Dan says...



Hello readers!

I was impressed to see that my cousin's walking skills were so good (especially Joseph). Anyway, this walk was lovely and I was top sport all the way. Okay, I admit it, I was a bit mopey (look at the photos). Oh well.

On the whole it was great to spend time with my cousins over Christmas and I wish I could have stayed longer and really improved my cricket and fishing skills.

Q: What do you call an igloo that doesn't have a toilet?
A: An ig




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Ridley's stripperRidley's stripper
Ridley's stripper

Rear - Dan and Katherine; front Jo and Jessie (and Sooty's tail)
Start of the walkStart of the walk
Start of the walk

Jessie, Mum and Katherine (above) and Dan and Joe (below)
Low tideLow tide
Low tide

Dan and Jessie lead the way
Blue markersBlue markers
Blue markers

An incentive for new walkers, spotting and touching the markers along the walk, works well for Joseph.
Bridge crossingBridge crossing
Bridge crossing

Katherine, Sooty, Mum (aka Oma and Elly) Dan, Jess, Joseph and Michael.
Amusing ourselvesAmusing ourselves
Amusing ourselves

Jess and I amuse ourselves while waiting for the others to catch up.
Hitching a rideHitching a ride
Hitching a ride

Joe ran out of energy on the last part of the walk - but luckily Katherine came to the rescue and helped with a piggy-back ride for the path down to the beach.
Dan is firstDan is first
Dan is first

Dan was hiding in the ruins of the Fish cannery
Main ruinsMain ruins
Main ruins

and a view towards Ballast Heads. Often monitors (goanna) can be seen in the grass around these ruins, sunning themselves.
Handstand queenHandstand queen
Handstand queen

Katherine spent a lot of her Christmas holiday inverted - and the Fish cannery was no exception! Thanks Uncle Michael for being so obliging ...
Still running ...Still running ...
Still running ...

This is the final section of the walk and Joseph certainly got his second wind, running the last part. A top effort for a 2 1/2 year old on a 3km bush walk!
CousinsCousins
Cousins

Giving Joseph a swinging finish to celebrate his first bush walk.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb