Day 4


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Another long day of straight roads and pouring rain, man I need to cover these kms !! Made a total of 765 kms today, which considering the weather is an awesome achievement.

Knocked down camp this morning surrounded by a beaut Nulabor sunrise, although the clouds rapidly set in for another day of heavy rain. It seemed strange some how passing back through landmarks the other way round from the last trip, although the fuel prices haven’t changed much.

First stop was Eulca on the SA/WA border, and for the next 100kms noticed the difference in the condition and width of the roads in SA ... much narrower and less maintained, which is a bit scary when 30-40 metre Road Trains are passing in the opposite direction at a 100kms per hour, and taking no prisoners !!

The Treeless plain of the Nulabor ( aboriginal for treeless) extends for about 150kms past the border, and the mixture of wind and rain made driving hazardous, although seeing this barren landscape green with vegetation was a hugh plus, along with the majestic Wedgetail Eagles feasting on roo carcases on the side of the road, or as Aussie’s like to call it Road Kill .. often served in many Roadhouse along the route !!

Tonight camped at Fowlers Bay, a place that holds lots of memories from the last trip. Arrived in the dark, even after gaining an hour crossing the border, finishing the day slipping and sliding on 22 kms of mud and water on the road in. The Suzuki performed faultlessly, although the Tardis looks very secondhand and covered in mud !!

Time for a glass of Chady and a hot shower after putting the tent up in the dark .... Tomorrow Port Augusta ( 650kms) the middle point of the dash across this paddock ..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb