Adelaide to Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide » Glenelg
May 1st 2011
Published: June 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One new campervan and one old girlfriend..One new campervan and one old girlfriend..One new campervan and one old girlfriend..

although as Tory pointed out it's a 1999 model

Campervaning in Aus



Our 4 wheel adventure began! We picked up our Calypso Camper (a 99’ Toyota hightop with a lot of personality and miles on the clock) from a guy with a big moustache in Adelaide, he showed us round including the discovery of a red back spider in with our gas bottle, he sprayed it and said “you’ll be right” – no sleepless nights for us then!

We drove down to Victor Harbour through some beautiful vineyards and spent our first night by the beach. We visited a wildlife sanctuary and Will had his first kangaroo encounter, they were big fellows close up and we nearly go overrun for our bag of Kangaroo food! The next few days were spent making our way along the coast before heading inland to the Grampians National Park. More kangaroos, this time wild and on the road – not sure the locals appreciated us slamming on the brakes with our camera at the ready whenever the bushes rustled . We stayed 2 nights and walked up one of the hills (Tory says mountain) and got stuck down a dirt track in the camper, all we kept hearing in our heads
Happy days!!Happy days!!Happy days!!

4 liters for $20 - bargain!
was, “our insurance doesn’t cover us for this!”

We joined up with the great ocean road taking in the various stops along the way including London Bridge and the 12 Apostles. The road is lovely although the scenery is pretty much the same from start to finish. Melbourne was our next big city stop where we met up with some friends (nice to have someone to talk to for a change other than each other!). We went out with Nick for some pizza slices and ended up in a swanky bar (we didn’t fit in) where we met up with Aaron and Laura.

We watched the AFL Melbourne Demons vs Adelaide Crows at the MCG, a pie and a pint while we watched men try and kill each other with their elbows. Walking tour the next day which was a good way to see the city and learn about the history.

Next up was Philip Island and the march of the mini blue penguins – we nearly died of exposure plus later that night we had our first hail storm and woke up a little confused as to which country we were in! We stopped in some really beautiful bays on the way to Sydney including Malacoota (with a lot of pelicans, Will was like a dog hanging out of the car window), Tathra (fish and chips) and Jervis Bay (Will had 2 pies – fatty!). The killer whale museum was good, the skeleton of Old Tom a killer whale that used to herd the whales in for the whalers to kill in return Old Tom got the lips!! This was the closest we came to spotting a whale despite many false sightings including a snorkeler who we thought was a seal.

We arrived into Sydney with a bit of Fing and blinding as we arrived at night and found ourselves on a 3 lane highway.

Guilty Pleasures: On suite camp area, this meant it was only a foot away and it was all ours so we could leave our tooth brushes unmolested.



Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 20; qc: 74; dbt: 0.088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb