Darwin to Adelaide via Alice Springs


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Will outside the old GaolWill outside the old GaolWill outside the old Gaol

(that's jail for the non Aussies)

Trains, no planes (hurray!) and automobiles



"Leaving on a tra-ain, don't know when we will be back again"....

We left Darwin on The Ghan for our first 24 hour journey heading towards Alice Springs. We had the cheap seats - no bed - and looked enviously at the 'Gold class' passengers. The train was really nice and we celebrated Easter Weekend with hot cross buns and tea in the dining carriage. 5 hours were spent unexpectedly sat in the carriage while stationed at Katherine. Apparently we were meant to get off and join in the activities as Will was told by the guard "You don't get on a train in Australia to get from A to B" - too expensive, no thanks! Otherwise the journey was really good and we got to see the landscape of Central Aus.

Alice Springs
We stayed in Alice in the Territory which was out of town but very nice and had a pool - tan top up time before the winter set in! We explored the town on bikes on Anzac Day, naturally looking fantastic with sweat patches and cycle helmets. We spent one day on a 15 hour tour to Uluru
Mount FoolaruMount FoolaruMount Foolaru

This is the mountain you pass before Uluru which catches tourists out
and the Olgas. Although it was a long day it didn't feel it as you were constantly moving or walking around the various locations. We ended the day with champagne and a sausage butty as the sun set at the rock. On our last day we met up with someone Tory met the last time she was in Alice Springs. Will managed to introduce himself by exploding a bottle of tomato sauce all over Jo's bar!

The Ghan part two
We were like veterans for the second leg of The Ghan from Alice to Adelaide with our downloaded movie and bag of food! Unfortunately, the seat space had shrunk and we had less leg room - must have been the heat! We watched the sun rise and the scenery change as we returned to civilization. Our journey ended by being met at the station by the friendly face of Debbie whose family we stayed with for the weekend.

Adelaide
We had a whirlwind two day visit and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - helped no end by the warm hospitality and home cooked food! We spent an afternoon exploring the museum, wandering through the beautiful university grounds and the park.
Is this poisonous?Is this poisonous?Is this poisonous?

Tory being given a bush blackberry by one of the guides
Will saw his first pelican which excited him no end as shown by the amount of photos on our camera! In the evening we joined Will and Kate for their wedding vows shown on the mall in town - our invitation clearly did not reach us due to our overseas journey. The next day we were driven along the coast and dropped off at the wine centre, which didn't really have that much wine on offer so we moved on to the Botanical Gardens. We wandered through 2 wedding parties until we found solitude in the greenhouse. We ended the day watching our first AFL match on TV and being patiently told the rules!

1 May we picked up our four wheeled friend and our Australian automobile adventure begins...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The hand, footprint and heart of UluruThe hand, footprint and heart of Uluru
The hand, footprint and heart of Uluru

You need to use your imagination
Alice train stationAlice train station
Alice train station

Statue of the Afghan camel drivers that helped build the railway
The Royal WeddingThe Royal Wedding
The Royal Wedding

Check out the bride in front!!


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb