Whitsundays 11to15/11


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
November 15th 2008
Published: November 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at airlie beach quite late, so headed straight out to find some tea. Found a really good place with all you can eat chilli for $8. After that went to the pub to meet people off the oz bus where a table had been reserved for us and we got lots of free drinks.

The next day was just an organising day and saying bye to people who were heading down the coast before us.

The day after we boarded the matador which would be our home for the next 3 days. This boat is an ex racing boat and has won medals. The first day on the boat we went snorkelling again although it wasn't quite as pretty as in cairns and dave helped hoist the sail with some others which was quite fun to watch, although it looked like hard work. At night time there was a bit of a party on the boat.

The second day on the boat began with an early morning trip to whitehaven beach. The boat is not allowed to anchor near the beach as this would affect the current and mess with the quality of the sand on the beach. So we were dropped on the other side and had a bushwalk to the beach. On the walk we saw an iguana although the pic is not very good cos we scared it and it ran away. We got a couple of hours at the beach and saw a huge turtle swim past us, we also saw lots of stingrays right at the edge of the water. The water at whitehaven beach is very clear and the sand is the finest sand in the world, it is like powder and is reallly comfy to walk on, the sand has also been used to clean the hubble telescope because it doesn't scratch it. In the afternoon went to another snorkel locatio, this one was much better than the first one. We saw a huge fish which was either a buffalo parrot fish or a maori wrasse (they both look very similar) and I saw 2 jellyfish so was really glad that I had my stinger suit on. Later on while some of the others carried on snorkelling me and dave went in the dingy with some others to feed the fish some bread. There was lots of them going crazy and jumping out of the water to get the food. Then we stopped of on a beach and fed what we think was a type of possum the rest of our bread. When we got back to the matador the skipper got some raw meat to throw into the water which attracted lots of fairly big fish, a small shark, and an eagle all fighting for the meat, which was quite a sight. It was funny cos a seagull swooped in for some of the food at the same time as the shark and the shark nearly got it. Ended the day watching the sunset while chilling out with some drinks and listening to skipper play the guitar and sing.

Early on the last day we went across to another beach and on the way in the dingy we saw a small turtle swimming beside us. One of the others in the group found a turtle shell whilst snorkelling and brought it over so we could have a look.

Back in airlie now heading out to meet up with our sailing group for some free food and drink before heading to kroombit tomorrow morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

kirsty at front of boatkirsty at front of boat
kirsty at front of boat

looks like tintin
below deck below deck
below deck

where we slept
whitehavenwhitehaven
whitehaven

stingrays
fishfish
fish

when we fed them
sea eaglesea eagle
sea eagle

when we fed it


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb