06to10/11


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
November 12th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Met lots of people at mission beach and most of them are heading down the east coast so we should bump into them quite often. There was a spontaneous party on the beach at night time that kirsty attended but I went to bed. On our last full day at mission beach we did the Kennedy walk. This was a very long walk because it was about an hour just to the start of the walk and then a 2.5 hour walk once you get there, it ended up being very tiring because of the Australia heat. The walk was really nice though and took us to other bays including lugger bay, tamo shanter point and kennedy bay.

The next day we got the ox bus down to Townsville where we got a ferry across to magnetic island. Our hostel was in a great location, right on the beach, although they seemed to think that this was an excuse to have shoddy accommodation, the showers were cold and on the last night kirsty woke up with ants all over her bed. It was still good though. Met up with some of the people from mission beach and some other people including the bus driver on the first night there.

The next day we went sea kayaking for an hour. This was very fun although quite hard work towards the end. After this we walked up to Hawking point via Picnic bay. This walk was good as the view from the top was excellant and it wasn't too hard. Whilst we were sat outside later on at night thaer was a wild possum trying to find sccraps of food on the ground but unfortanately I didn't have my camera so no photo.

The day after we got a day pass for the island bus. First we went to do the forts walk. This is a walk past lots of old forts used in WW2 and eucalyptus trees so good potential for koala spotting. At the very beginning of the walk we saw a koala up in a tree and managed to get very close for a good photo. We also saw 2 snakes on the walk. The first one was on the path and I nearly stood on it, it was green with a redish brown belly if anyone knows what that is? The second one was on a rock by the path so we managed to get an ok picture, it was black with a yellow belly and when we described it to our driver he said it was poisonous.

We then went to horseshoe bay, which is the largest bay on the island. Here we walked along the beach and saw a load of people riding horses in the water. After this we ordered a large portion of chips between us for $4 and got the biggest pile of chips ever, we think the woman was taking the mic. We had to throw quite a few of those away and are now sick of chips.

The next day we did the nelly bay to arcadia walk, this was very tiring as it was a 3 hour walk with a lot of uphill and it was a very hot day. When we arrived to arcadia we got lunch and then walked back via Alma bay (my favourite bay I saw on Magnetic island) and geoffrey bay.

A very good few days on the island. Next Airlie beach and whitsundays.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

magnetic islandmagnetic island
magnetic island

our hostel location
snakesnake
snake

our driver said this was poisonous
magnetic islandmagnetic island
magnetic island

view from ferry


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb