Days 28, 29, 30 and 31. Sailing the Whitsundays


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
February 16th 2007
Published: February 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I'm grouping all these days together as so much as happened! We left Airlie Beach on 16th Feb and went down to the arena to get our boat to sail the whitsundays island. Our boat was called The Whitsunday Magic, it was a huge delux sail boat. Trust me to pick the most expensive boat there is! It was very luxurious, all with our own cabins etc. We set sail with some champagne in hand off into the sun! We watched the sunset and had a fabulous dinner prepared by a the chef who had asked each of us what type of food we liked and didn't like.

Day 2 on the boat started beautifully. Breakfast buffet and then quickly rushing out to grab the sunbeds before they all went! some people wanted to help put the sails up and all that but i preferred to just chill, catch some sun and listen to my tunes on my ipod! i'm not a sailing kinda girl, i decided on that before i even got on the boat. Too much like hard work.

We sunbathed, drank a lot of beer and made friends with a candian couple and an australian couple
Whitsunday MagicWhitsunday MagicWhitsunday Magic

This is our boat taken from the island. Check out the storm clouds forming!
who were such a laugh. We sailed out to the outer part of the Great Barrier Reef, called Bait Reef. The crew told us about some tiny jellyfish out here which are really dangerous and if you get stung, they contact for a helicoptor transfer to a hospital - that was really reasurring! but i braved it and put the minging stinger suit back on. The reef was beautiful, lots of sharks! that helped me overcome my fear a little.

In the afternoon we attemepted to sail to Blue Pearl Bay for the night. Literally, within a few minutes the clouds were overhead and we were in the middle of a full on storm! it worried us slightly when the crew started running up and down the boat, with a look of panic but they later told us that was nothing, it can get much worse. i would not want to be on the boat with it any worse than that. Plates were smashing everywhere and chairs going flying!

At last we made it to the bay for the night. The crew called us out on deck and we saw that there was a huge group of dolphines
Whitsunday MagicWhitsunday MagicWhitsunday Magic

There was beautiful blue sky for a little while!
performing for us! then the sharks moved in and started circling the boat, about 10 of them and they were a fair size!

The weather wasn't much better the next morning. We couldn't sail anywhere as it was too dangerous. Everyone was laughing at me because i was just concerned about not getting mobile phone reception! The boat had a TV and DVD player so we spent the day watching the pirated copies of DVDs we bought in Malaysia! Good old borat to keep us going!

When the weather improved, we sailed out to whitsunday island which was cool. And finally this morning we sailed back to Airlie beach after a fab 3 days, if not a little scary at times! Tonight will be interesting - we have a 14 hour overnight bus trip to Rainbow Beach ready to start Fraser Island!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Sailing the WhitsundaysSailing the Whitsundays
Sailing the Whitsundays

There was beautiful blue sky for a little while!


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb