MISSION BEACH


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
February 22nd 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

A huge hello to everyone and trust 2011 is unfolding just perfectly for you all... Hard to believe we're nearly into March already...
Its been wonderful to have had a few months break from this blogging business, however must get back into it... places to go, people to meet, things to experience... isnt life just so exciting and interesting... no two days ever the same, not even two moments ever the same...

So, onwards we go...

If you're doing the road trip from Cairns heading south, then Mission Beach @ just under 2 hours drive is most definitely worth stopping in for, even if its just for a coffee.

This very cutesy, hideaway seaside township is actually made up of four beach villages - South Mission Beach, Wongaling Beach, North Mission Beach and Bingil Bay which are all linked by 14 kms of golden sandy beaches and surrounded by a lush World Heritage Listed tropical rainforest.
And if you're very lucky, you might even spot an elusive cassowary wandering about.

Unfortunately it rained fairly constantly for the few days I was here, so not much in the way of golden beaches, crystal clear waters and sunshine... luckily though I happen to love rainforests, most especially when its raining so I was a very happy camper...

Possibly the main drawcard for Mission Beach though, is its close proximity to 2 of the Great Barrier Reefs very special islands... Dunk Island and Bedarra Island, both of which are rainforest islands.

Dunk Island is open for daytrippers and is so close that you can actually paddle across if you wanted to... they say you can sometimes spot dolphins and turtles on your paddle... it will take you just over an hour and they do stop for a break at a smaller island along the way... if thats not your thing though, then there is a 10min water taxi...

Bedarra which is a little further on from Dunk is unfortunately not open to daytrippers...
Many years, ago I had the good fortune to work on Bedarra for 5 months... it literally is one of the worlds most exclusive 5* resorts and has only 16 villas so very nice and private...
If the opportunity ever comes up for you to visit for a night or two then most definitely take it...

Mission Beach and the islands recently took the brunt of Cyclone Yasi, so some tough cleanup work ahead for the locals. At this point, the islands have cancelled all bookings till 31st August as time is needed to rebuild the resorts. But heres a thought... when they do eventually reopen, they are going to need staff... no doubt some of the original employees will return but alot of them wont... so if you relish the thought of trading in the big city for the opportunity to live and work on an idyllic Queensland island, it might be worth investigating when the time comes...

Airlie up next... Nic




Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MISSION BEACHMISSION BEACH
MISSION BEACH

thats Dunk Island in the distance...
MISSION BEACHMISSION BEACH
MISSION BEACH

the pier...
MISSION BEACHMISSION BEACH
MISSION BEACH

a picnic spot...
MISSION BEACHMISSION BEACH
MISSION BEACH

Mission Beach is home to the Cassowary...
MISSION BEACHMISSION BEACH
MISSION BEACH

an imposter...


8th March 2011

Great to have you back
Hi Nic, Lovely to hear from you again. Thanks for the heads up on the Queensland islands. We have been weighing up whether or not to try and get a job on the Islands as the first permanent weaning away from home. Might have to give that one a try. Looking forward to your next entry. Happy travelling! Cheers, Sonja
20th March 2011

I was surprised and happy to see and read this blog! (There must be 48 hours in a day in that part of the world?) Thanks fer sharing....x
20th March 2011

"Cassowary"?...Never heard of it!....(long pause).....No! I can't think of any creatures from here that ye'd most probably never heard of?.....(folds arms and sulks)

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb