Byron to Surfer's....Paradise???


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Surfers Paradise
March 27th 2006
Published: March 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our last day on the beach was a bit on and off with the tropical rain storms, but was more than worth the odd bit of rain as the waves were, I can honestly say, the biggest I have ever seen in real-life and the local surfers took full advantage of this. These guys were seriously good surfers, I be surprised if at least one of them weren't Pro, it was amazing to watch and got some awesome footage!
One last big night out in Byron with a pub crawl landed us on the beach for the sunrise, near the lighthouse which is the most easterly point in Australia, therefore the first place for the sun to shine Downunder, awesome. Sadly it was quite cloudy and the rain began to fall, but was still a fantastic night!
Up early once again which wasn;t easy after one and half hours sleep so we could get in the bus to travel further north to Surfer's Paradise. Leaving Byron is the hardest thing I've done on the trip so far, but a neccessity none the less as we have so much more to see!
To Surfer's Paradise on the Gold Coast and a cross the state border into Queensland and a time change to an hour earlier.
I have heard mixed opinions about Surfer's and as we pulled into the high-rise concrete mecca I could see it was a far cry from the quiet beauty of Byron Bay (a place that doesn't even have a McDonalds!).
We arrived to a slightly dingy hostel called 'Cheers backpackers' and fancied a chilled night with no partying only to find that this is a party hostel and the bar downstairs was rather loud. So we partied almost everyday in Byron in a quiet YHA and now we want to have a relaxed evening and we are the ones wanting 'them' to be quiet, ah well.
Today, Monday, we hired surfboards and headed straight to the huge long straight beach of the Gold Coast. The rip was once again extremely strong and very difficult to get out the waves once you had caught on into shore, but I can now get up quickly and ride them fairly well. I can't see us staying here for more than 3 nights but it is a party town so we will find out if it lives up to it's name tonight, but for now.. tacky, chavvish, neon, high-rise, not my favourite, by far!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb