Moving on up..


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
March 29th 2006
Published: March 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Oh dear what a shame we had to leave Surfer's Paradise?!?! (said with more sarcasm than ever before). It was awful.
After leaving the most amazing place I have ever been to end up in a commercial, concrete, neon, McDonald's, theme park, scally-tastic filled dump can only be described very depressing and put us all on a bit of a downer for a few days. The night life there was supposed to be it's one saviour but even that was rubbish, so if you can't tell already we were not impressed and have nothing good to say about it.
.... So onto brighter things, and the hype has to be re-fuelled in our lack luster engines, so we moved out of the Cavv-run Cheers backpacker's and on to Brisbane. Matt has a friend he met in Canada 4 years ago living there and she has kindly let us rest our sleepy heads there for a few nights, much to our appreciation.
A short bus ride north of just a couple of hours and we open our eyes after a nice sleep to find ourselves once again in a big city similar to Sydney. First impressions are very good and the place looks welcoming and clean with some fantastic architecture.
On arrival we weren't able to meet up with Shantal (Matt's friend) right away as she was at work so we sat outside a coffee shop for a good 2 hours soaking up Brisbane the best way I know how and one of my favourite past-times... people watching.
Shantal then duely arrives to provide us with a key to her garage so we can put our bags away so we can go and see the city.
Whilst sitting at the coffee shop we wrote ourselves an itenary for our time here in Brisbane. As Brisbane (the 3rd largest city in Australia) is the cultural capital we thought it best to take in some art so headed to the Queensland Art Gallery. Doing so took us through the city and along the very picturesque river side and along a little rainforest trail, lovely. The city offers some very cool buildings and around the cultural distrist there are lots of little bits of art and sculpture, very cool.
The Art Gallery was pretty good, but the highlight was by far at the end of our viewing when we were invited to make our own art work by building something out of white LEGO bricks. I made the SEARS tower on Chicago... I don't know why, I just did and it took me ages!!!
Very much enjoying Brisbane for the 8 hrs we've been here and looking forward to our packed itenary for the next few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

A White IbisA White Ibis
A White Ibis

these birds are everywhere in Australia!
My LEGO sears towerMy LEGO sears tower
My LEGO sears tower

took me ages, they threatened to through me out!!!


30th March 2006

Boo hoo
Another great blog. Look at those bronzed up bodies of yours, me thinks my oil didn't find itself in the bin after all...anywho, just to make you all jealous i'm off to sunny brighton at the weekend. who needs sewaty coogee when you have brighton! Love to you all x x Oh and i agree with you about surfers. 2 days and I was outta there!
6th June 2006

that's not brisbane museum!~ that's brisbane city hall hehe

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb