Brisbane times.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
April 1st 2006
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

A beach in the city..A beach in the city..A beach in the city..

Manchester take note, then it will have everything!!
On our second day in Brisbane staying with Chantel we headed to the Museum of Queensland. It was a kind of standard city museum covering everything about the history of Australia and wildlife etc. Was ok but nothing to rave about.
In the afternoon after a spot of lunch we went to an area of Brisbane called South Bank, similar to that in London as it too was on the river side, but here they have gone one step further in true Aussie style and made a beach/lagoon area right on the river looking over at the city skyline, very cool indeed. The sun shone and we chilled in the water and lying on the beach (street beach). We read in the lonely planet guide about a place called Downunder bar, a backpacker bar, that did cheap food so went there for tea to find we could get either fish&chips, steak and mash, chicken schnitzel all for just $5 each about 2 pounds 40p, very good deal. We wanted to save our crazyness for the weekend to attack the Brisbane night life so we wound up in a Starbucks where we sat for a good two hours, doing once again the favourite past time of people watching with a muffin and a Latte... nice.
We booked ourselves into a hostel for Friday and Saturday nights before our move further North. Sadly the weather took an awful turn on Friday and rained... a lot, so lazily we slept in til quite late and then jumped into a cab to the hostel. Hostel was cool, had it's own bar, but with that it means you can't drink your own alcohol in the social areas. We slyly got ourselves some goon and drank in the room. We hit the city in the fortitude valley area where there were loads of bars, so we worked our way through a few of them trying to stick to a tight budget, some very cool cocktail bars where I would have loved to sip a cocktail, but the budget screamed at me to simply have a beer, ah well.
Saturday the weather had cleared up wonderfully and once again the sun shone in all it's Australian glory. Wanting to go somewhere different we walked to the botanical garden's where we lay on the grass surrounded by an abundance of wildlife and nature, in particular a pair of noisy Kookaburra (Australia's famous laughing bird).
Saturday night was another night on the town but not a lot happened and was quite uneventful.
Tomorrow we look forward to heading to the Sunshine Coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Simon artSimon art
Simon art

All around the city on all the electrical boxes there wwas art work painted on them, I found a few done by someone with a great name!
Simon artSimon art
Simon art

All around the city on all the electrical boxes there wwas art work painted on them, I found a few done by someone with a great name!
Simon artSimon art
Simon art

All around the city on all the electrical boxes there wwas art work painted on them, I found a few done by someone with a great name!
Simon artSimon art
Simon art

All around the city on all the electrical boxes there wwas art work painted on them, I found a few done by someone with a great name!
Simon artSimon art
Simon art

All around the city on all the electrical boxes there wwas art work painted on them, I found a few done by someone with a great name!


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb