Charming Cairns! An Incredible City That Will Make You Fall In Love


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
March 28th 2014
Published: March 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cairns


My visit to Cairns could well be labelled as a love story. Cairns has actually proved to be the love of my life (due apologies to my husband, Luke!). The city is extremely beautiful and comes across as a sort of poetry eulogising the natural prowess of Australia! The tropical climate of the city allowed me to relax and take in the natural environs of the place without having to worry about the climatic conditions of the place. For most, Cairns is the gateway to the World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef but for me, the city has a lot up its sleeve but it only unfolds to those who are not satisfied with only the superficial.



Let’s talk about the attractions of the city. There is a lot to experience in this city and it is my advice to people to enjoy it all. Do plan a tour to the Tjapukai Cultural Park, which is a fantastic cultural extravaganza that features a wide variety of tools to impress upon the visitors the great cultural legacy of the place. For me, the corroboree was the biggest highlight of the place.



Nature lovers, like me, will repent if they miss out on the Crystal Cascades, a string of wonderful waterfalls and pools. The place is located some 20kms from the city. Cairns Regional Gallery is another brilliant place to check out the region’s acclaimed cultural legacy. The gallery showcases local and Indigenous works and will take tourists closer to the region’s artistic wealth. Cairns Museum is a popular choice for exploring the history of Cairns. The museum houses displays on the construction of the Cairns–Kuranda railway as well as the exhibits on the Palmer River and Hodgkinson River goldfields.



But it is usually not the attractions that compel tourists to board flights to the city; it is the range of adventure pursuits that tempt holiday makers to get here. I undertook a visit to the Double Island that’s very close to Cairns. At the island, I tried out jet skiing and windsurfing. While for me it was enough, most adventure travellers tried out the entire gamut of water sports. White water rafting and bungee jumping were other two pursuits I wanted to try but the lack of time did me in.



Shopping is not very big in Cairns but there are still several options for those who want splurge. Local markets are perhaps the best bets for tourists.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb