The Lakes Resort Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
July 19th 2009
Published: July 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well here I am again with quite a few days to catch up.
The internet access here doesn't allow us to upload photos which is such a shame because the views and sights that I would love to share with you are amazing.
Our first full day in Cains was spent getting our bearings really. We walked from the resort 'The Lakes' which is fabulous, into Cairns Town along the Espanade. The Esplanade is a lovely walkway along the edge of the ocean into the town. It has numerous jettys and public recreation areas all along it and the whole thing has a really friendly social atmosphere. We met a lady from New Zealand on our walk who has been holidaying in Cairns for many years. She has a holiday home here and gave us the gen on what to see and do during our stay.
Having taken mental note of her suggestions, when we got into the centre we went to the tourist information bureau and booked a trip to Kuranda on the train and Skyrail and a day diving on the reef.
The day was rounded off with a return to our appartment via the Esplanade again and fish and chips. Not fish and chips as we know them though! we had Squid, Barramundi, scallops and Mahi Mahi and chips. Yum!

We took the trip on the skyrail and train to Kuranda the next day. It really was everything it was sold as and was well worth the early morning start.

We were collected from the resort, taken to the train station which carried us up the mountain to Kuranda stopping at Barron Falls and traversing a horseshoe shaped bridge on the way. Once there we wandered around the tourist shops and markets and visited the wildlife parks. It was really good. Obviously the markets and shops were full of tourist tat, but it was colourful and fun. The butterfly farm, and birdland was great too. We had lunch at a sort of 'Hippy Cafe in Kuranda which, quite by accident, turned out to be probably the best place in the village. It was really good. After lunch we just had time to do a quick tour of the Koala Park before making our way down to Cairns on the Skyrail.

The Skyrail was amazing and from memory I think it was 7kms long. The gondolas are suspended just above the rainforest canopy and as you travel along you are imersed in the smells and sounds of the forest below you. It's quite lovely. On the way up by train, as I said we stopped at Barron Falls, but they looked nothing in comparision to the view we got of them from the skyrail. It was definately the best way to see the rainforest.

Wednesday (15/07/2009) was an even earlier start for us. We were up and at 'em at 6.30am and on our way by taxi to 'E Finger' to catch Tusa 5 out to the reef.

The only way I can descride the day was 'WOW!'.

Richard and I had the most fantastic day diving the reef. It more than exceeded expectations. I could type for hours about the things we saw. We hired an under water camera and Richard was able to do his Jacques Cousteau bit. He got some amazing footage of the reef. Like I said we don't have the facility at this time to upload the photos but as soon as we do I promise I will share them with you they are fantastic. The colours are unbelievable. I thought that from what I had read that the reef had suffered due to polution and intervention by man, but there is a great deal of conservation and protection going on and it is magnificent.

Thursday was pencilled in as a quieter day. We have left the battery charger for our camera in Mt Gambier so we decided to walk into town and buy another. We visited the town again and to celebrate my birthday we decided that we would all like to dive the reef again so we booked another day on Tusa 5 for the 18th.

Friday 17/7/2009

We visited the parks and Botanical Gardens near our resort today. It is a beautiful area. Today is one of their many public holidays. It's a show day. The festivities carry on throughout the day at a sort of agricultural show ending with a huge firework display and the locals have a day off work.
We went to our Irish Bar again 'Willie McBrides' for Dinner and I opened my cards and pressies. I know it was a day early but we were scheduled out on the reef on the actual day so it seemed more practical.
Mike and Richard ended the evening playing pool before we strolled back to the resort.

Saturday 18/07/2009
Birthdays just don't get any better than this. I didn't think that the diving could be any better but it was. On the way out to Saxon Reef we got to see Humpbacks. Two of them jumping out of the water in front of the boat. It was such a treat.
We had 3 more great dives. Richard dived without the camera this time and I'm sure this was why we got to see and swim with a turtle and a white tip (shark). Today was quite cloudy but despite this Mike, who had been snorkeling managed to get quite sunburnt so Richard and I were quite grateful be had been protected by the wetsuits.

Sunday 18/07/2009

Today and tomorrow will be our last full days in Cairns before we fly off to Darwin. Today has been assigned to R & R.
I ran into Cairns this morning along the Esplanade buit walked back because it was too hot for me to run even at that early hour.
Called into the local chemist for after sun for Mike and spent the afternoon by the pool. The plan will be to go into Cains for Dinner this evening and see what wierd cuisine we can try.


Advertisement



22nd July 2009

you resisted the kangaroo scrotum bottle opener then!
HI anne and all you seem to be having a great time I am so envious. We loved the Karunda railway but quite agree about the tourist tat in the shops. The things made out of bits of kangaroo were particularly gross but the bottle opener made from teh kagaroo scrotum really did make me cringe. We did eat Skippy burgers though and you should try them Also look out for "Bay Bugs" which sound disgusting but are actually a sort of lobster tail and delicious. I would love to see Humpbacks what a woderful sight Hope you had a fab birthday

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb