The Lakes Resort Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
July 16th 2009
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It has been my intention to bring everyone up to speed with what we have been up to but again we have been too busy just doing.
We had a great time at Karen, Mark and Todds and too much wine and chat to make time for the pool. Much to Dad's relief.
Our visit with family ended with a get together on Saturday and Karen organised a suprise birthday party for me. It was a lovely suprise with cake and everything It was lovely to be so spoiled for the day even if it was a bit early.
Richard had a great time charging round the Pines and paddocks on a Quad bike and Todds 4x4.
We left Mt Gambier at about 4 pm and headed out to Melbourne airport. Dad was not very happy with this arrangement cos even though our flight was not until 9.35am the following day he was anxious to get us there in plenty of time to have a good nights sleep. Needless to say we were happy to sleep on the plane and spend as much time as possible with the family in Mt Gambier.
The journey itself was quite good. Mike took the wheel for a while to give Dad a break and we stopped for dinner just before Balerat. Fantastic meal but Dad's blood pressure was rising at the thought of not reaching a motel before 10pm. More precisely the motel he and Ann used when they came to pick us up.
We eventually arrived at the said Motel. Disaster! It was full. You can imagine what followed! Poor Dad was beside himself. We cheerily reasured him that there would be others. We continued to drive towards the airport with fingers crossed, calling at every hotel possible. Everywhere was full. Typical!
Just past the airport I spotted a sign 'Motel' 300yds left. Dad made a sharp left and we entered a car park to a Motel which looked as if it was the set for 'Psycho'. We started to giggle and Dad was not happy.
The clark was just locking up but took pity on us and said that he did have one room left. Fortunately it was enough! 2 rooms containing 2 singles and a double. MIke Richard and I squeezed into the double and proceeded to giggle well into the wee small hours about the clerks similarity to Norman Bates and the way the wind was rattling the windows. All in all it was a good nights sleep and we were up and off to the airport in plenty of time, stopping on the way for a box of Krispy Kremes for Todd.
After a fond farewell we were on our way to Cairns.
..........................................................................................................................................................................

Our luggage arrived at the same time as us this time. The flight was good and the transfer to the resort went without a hitch.
The resort is fabulous. Exceeded expectations. We have a lovely self contained appartment, 2 bedrooms balcony kitchen, dining room, laundry and separate tiolet and bathroom. The pool is shared with about 9 other appartments and is beautiful. We have our own Barbque area and tennis court. This is the life.
To be quite honest we haven't really had the opportunity to use the resort facilities cos we have been out and about seeing the sights, meeting the locals and sampling the gastonomic delights of the region.

As well as Cairns Centre and esplanade itself some of the highlighs so far have been the trip to Kuranda on the scenic railway; a visit to Kuranda's wildlife parks followed by a ride back to Cairns on the skyrail.

Of course our day diving the reef yesterday was pretty special too. In fact it was so good that we are going out again on Saturday for my birthday. The diving here is spectacular. It was definately the dive of my life. We did 2 reefs and I actually got to see a shark. Richard beat that, he got his ear cleaned by a fish! We hired an underwater camera and Richard did his Jacques Cousteau bit and has got some great shots.
We dont have the facility to up load the photos here but as soon as we do we will share some of the amazing things we have seen.

Mike is disappearing before our eyes. He has had to put an extra notch in his belt already. The combination fo light beer, fresh fish and exercise is working wonders. I cant say the same for me I'm afraid my clothes are still quite snug, there are far too many lovely things to eat and well you have to try these thing dont you?

Tomorrow we are planning a relatively quiet day visiting the lakes near the resort and swimming in our pool. The weather has been perfect for us. Not too hot! the locals are complaining that it is cold. (27 degrees! ) it is perfect for us and means that we can enjoy the great outdoors without the fear of frying.

Look forward to my next update.
See you all very soon.


Anne x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb