Trying to settle in Brisbane...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Eight Mile Plains
July 29th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone!

Just a quick note to say we haven't been eaten by Great Whites or bitten by Redbacks or anything like that. We are alive and kicking!!

Since the last blog we went to a place called Cape Tribulation where the Great Barrier Reef meets the Daintree rainforest - a pretty unique experience. It's like going back in time there - no petrol stations/cash machines for miles and no mobile signal!! It was a nice change from city life though.

We went snorkelling in the Great Barrier Reef, which was amazing. It's just as good as it looks on the David Attenborough docos! We saw a huge turtle and got really close to it, so that was an experience, plus a load of funky coloured fish and a sea snake.

Since then (that was about 3 weeks ago?) we spent about 4 days on the road travelling from Cape Trib to Brisbane, stopping at various places on the way. There was NO work in Cairns, so we decided to get ourselves down to Brisbane, where we were told getting some work would be much easier.

We've been in Brisbane about 2 weeks now and been on a mission to get some accommodation and jobs sorted since the day we got here. We've been looking on the net and in the local papers, and just making a billion calls a day, hence not much time dedicated to doing fun exciting stuff and not much blogging.

Anyway, we've got somewhere to live. You're gonna love this - we're staying in a caravan park!!! We are true trailer trash. From all of our research, this cabin we chose was the best value for money compared to everything else. For our budget, most other options were shared accomdation. But this place is about a 10 min drive to the city centre, we've got a lounge/kitchen/bedroom and bathroom, our privacy, and it's quiet too. It's also near a big shopping centre, cinema, restaurants, etc.

So it suits us fine, although there a few wrong un's living on the park. I keep expecting to see Britney and K-Fed walking by!

Job wise, it hasn't come together as quick as we hoped, but we've registered with a few agencies, I've got some filing work tomorrow (woop!) and Ben is waiting to hear on whether he might have a 6 week accounts job nearby, so gradually we are getting there!!

We have done a few things here - we've been to two of the fab theme parks here - Whitewater World and MovieWorld, which were both good fun.

As soon as we've got some money coming in, we'll be off exploring again.

Hope to bring you a more interesting blog soon!

Lots of love

Maria and Ben

xxx

Advertisement



9th August 2008

Brisy life!
Hey beauties It's so weird to think you're living in Brisy!! You're literally round the corner from all my family!! It sucks trying to find work, sure you'll get some good stuff soon... Moved to London last week, all a bit of a whirlwind, but I love our little flat!! Will email properly soon. Big hugs, and Paul says hi too xxx

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb