Noosa, Hervey Bay & Humpback Whales!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
September 11th 2008
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone!

Right, sincere apologies for being lame again, but we have good excuses!

Since we last blogged, the first couple of weeks, we were pre-occupied with settling into our new jobs. Ben has got a 6 month contract with the Australian Government in the Justice and Legal department, doing admin bits and pieces. So he has basically got work for as long as we are in Brisbane (he doesn't actually have to see out the 6 months). I'd like to add here that Ben had to have a hair cut and shave his beard off for the interview, so he was a bit upset about that. But for the beard fans out there, it will be back I'm sure!! For those of you that have worked with Ben, you'll know that as soon as he's settled in, any effort goes out the window, ha!

I am with an agency who have lots of short term temp assignments, so I've been doing a couple of weeks at one place, then a couple at another etc. I've even done a couple of days on reception at a car dealership which is a joke as I don't know the first thing about cars!

Our other reason for being lame is that we decided to sell our camera and upgrade to a new one, as there are so many good photo opportunities, and the one we had wasn't quite up to scratch. So we sold it, and ordered a new one - Canon Powershot S5 for anyone who cares! - but in typical eBay style, it took almost three weeks to arrive! We didn't think there was much point blogging until we had some pics to share. Anyway, luckily the camera was worth the wait. You can zoom in to say, a tiny insect, and get a crystal clear picture of it and make out all of the details. It's really good.

In the past month or so, we've been to Seaworld and Wet N Wild water parks, which were both good fun, and on my birthday we went to a Koala Sanctuary. We were supposed to go to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo, but decided against it, as we wanted to have a camera with us. We are going to do that in a couple of weeks though. Very excited about that one!

Last weekend, we went to a place called Noosa on the Sunshine Coast. It has the nicest beaches we've seen so far I think. There is also a river, where you can hire boats, so we decided to do that, as we really enjoyed the one in Cairns.

This boat was a bit more upmarket - padded seats, woo!! It was called the 'Sunchaser'. We had a go at fishing again, but didn't have much luck this time. I'm sure that's because there were no fish in the whole river, not because we're rubbish at fishing!! But it was nice to cruise along for a few hours anyway.

After that, we drove further north to Hervey Bay. The main reason for going there was to do some Humpback Whale watching off the coast there, as apparently it's the best place in the whole of Australia to see the Humpbacks. So we booked a trip for the next morning.

There were about 20 people on our boat. We had a good spot sitting at the front soaking up the sun and keeping our eyes peeled! For about an hour, we watched two males and a female. They were huge! Two of them even swam under our boat. Ben got a couple of good pictures of them 'breaching'. On the way back to the harbour, we passed Fraser Island and saw a dingo on the beach!

Anyway, soon we are planning to go to Fraser Island and the Whitsunday islands, which are two of the must-see's on the east coast. We're both really looking forward to that, just gotta get our butts in gear and book something!

The weather is really picking up here. It's just coming into Spring time and it's late 20's every day. All the locals keep telling us to brace ourselves for our first Australian summer!! They think we can't handle it. We'll show them...




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



14th September 2008

photos
at last some photos!!looks a lovely beach,like the one of you eating maria. it is soooo you love to both of you
17th September 2008

you cheeky mare! didn't realise ben had the camera right in my face whilst I was tucking into my chicken nugget! what a lovely picture hey!
17th September 2008

About time!!!
At last!!! I want a picture of the trailer!!! Seriously though that beach looks amazing. Glad to see you are both having a wicked time. Can you email me and let me know what date you guys are back again?

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb