Day 34: Road trip to Airlie Beach‏


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
January 12th 2013
Published: January 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Again another day of driving, this time we covered twice the distance! Before hitting the road we had a quick wander down to the beach itself. Mission beach was the first stretch of land hit by the Grade 5 Cyclone Yasi in 2011, but it seems to have recovered well. The trip from Mission beach to Townsville took approximately 3 hours and we arrived around lunchtime. Townsville 'strand' bears a striking resemblance to the esplanade in Cairns! After another 3 hour drive we arrived in Airlie beach, a very popular stop for backpackers and also the gateway to The Whitsundays. At each stop we now have to make the decision between YHA hostels or NOMADS hostels - we've stayed on a number of both, but YHA is winning on service at the moment!

Baileys bit:

Even with the air con the temperature in the car gets the sweat glands working, the average temperature outside averaged 34 so the air con had its work cut out! Airlie beach has the feel of a party town, even where we were staying was blurting out what can only be described as clicks and whistles when we arrived, I feel very much the elderly statesman in the hostel, maybe I'm too old for this...

Daily mileage: 4.5 up and down a trail in mission beach, also went along the beach itself while the tide was out which again was idylic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb