Day 35: Sailing the Whitsunday's aboard Derwent Hunter‏


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays » Daydream Island
January 13th 2013
Published: January 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The best way to experience the Whitsunday's is by sailing; not only did we pick a sailboat but we picked a 1946 tall ship as our sailboat! The 'Derwent Hunter' has an incredible history in Australia and we had a fantastic day aboard. We helped the crew with the sails and driving the boat. The day trip included two snorkelling sessions and we finally got the chance to swim with turtles. They were most likely hawksbill and while some were fairly small we saw a huge one too. The turtles were on Langford Reef which also has a beautiful beach just popping out of the water amid the other islands. The Whitsunday's are beautiful, the sea is warm and a perfect Turquoise colour... book your flights now!

Bailey's bit:

An amazing day sailing the high seas, think I'm starting to get my sea legs, as no more nausea! With a crew of only 4 it was interesting to see then work, the skipper is an ex-pat from near stanstead arriving 15 years ago. A really good lunch and morning and afternoon snacks as well which went down swimmingly! Only down side was my 'waterproof' camera seems to have somehow let some water in, no more underwater shots for us!

Daily mileage: 5 went out for a run after the sailing, although dark there were some well light streets, only chased by the one dog sprinting out of its yard!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb