Can't leave Oz until you do a ROADTRIP


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
December 24th 2010
Published: December 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

My escape goat from Island Fever, found a note posted on a hostel bulletin, two girls looking for 2 people to share fuel and an adventure down the east coast. Called them up, left voicemail and texted, but didn't expect a call back, thinking they already found someone. One night before I left was the shortest notice that I could give to my boss that I was leaving due to dissatisfaction. Besides, in the contract it states 7 days to decide on keeping the job.

Jean and Eliza, 19 years old from Victoria, Oz. They just came back from being in Africa for about 4 months. The smart cookies received a full ride to their universities, therefore their parents offered to pay for their road trip around Oz in substitute of tuition. What a reward! These girls are the most unique, entertaining, intellectual individuals. They will definitely live a fulfilled life and be successful.

Started in Airlie Beach to Mackay, Rockhampton, Bundaberg, Fraser Island, Noosa and lastly Brisbane. More little stops were in between. We stopped in towns with the BIG THING like the Kangaroo, soccer ball, sharks, bundaberg rum etc. as seen in my album on FB. We ate like Vegans since Eliza has been practicing since she was 6 years old.

This was the first time hitching except not standing outside with my thumb up. But you get the drift, getting a lift with strangers. Thankfully, it was safe. This was also my first time waking up and not having a plan and not knowing where I was going. Indeed, this was the most spontaneous and random experience! The perfect cure and turn around point to simply enjoy my time and not stressing about what's next. Listed below chronologically, are the eventful things worth telling.

Day 1
Bush walk in Eugella National Park and swam in a waterfall.

Found tons of bananas on the side of the road where a truck crash had happened. The top boxes seemed safe. Unfortunately, the bananas never ripened after one week and as of now the girls are still traveling with them.

Camped in a storm

Day 2
Jean and Eliza rolled out their swags and slept under shelter at picnic tables as Kay and I slept in the front seat of the car. Cooked and ate in the dark.

Day 4
Bundaberg Rum Factory

Day5-7
Fraser Island. Perfect weather with sunshine and no rain. Saw dingoes, swam in lakes, bush walk, scenic drives, champagne pools,

Day 8
Slept in Noosa and found a gig moving mulch for 4 hours for $80. Not bad for fast cash.

Day 9
Couch surfed with Ron my first host upon arriving in Oz. Now in the CBD, Brisbane.

Off to the Gold Coast at Surfers Paradise to celebrate Xmas with other couch surfers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

DSC03634DSC03634
DSC03634

Flooding is common but the worst this year. Most rain since 10 years ago.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb