Last days in Airlie Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
January 30th 2010
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We have booked our room out for an extra day as we are not due to catch the bus til 2am and as its pouring down we can do without the hassle of lugging our bags around all day and night! Ah, we can relax again now!

We bought 24 hour access to the wireless connection in the hotel next door but within 3 hours Rob had exceeded the download limit trying to get a film which he bought from i-tunes 3 weeks ago! We were getting quite claustrophobic in the room so decided to head out for ice-cream in the rain! We tried to do the pictures on the blog again by purchasing another 24hrs worth of access - to no avail! Out we went again this time to the lagoon to play ball.

We sat outside a bar and got onto the wireless connection all was going well until a baby bird fell out of the nest in the shelter above us, rob tried to help but it could not stand or fly! We perched it out of the way of traffic and returned later in the evening to find it had gone. Back to the room
The LagoonThe LagoonThe Lagoon

After a downpour
for a shower and a rest before setting out on another night bus!

31/01/10

2am- the bus arrived on time today and it was quite empty - bonus. Off we go to Mission Beach. All was going well we had both been snoozing when the driver announced road closure ahead oh-oh there is only one road in and out of Airlie not a good sign!

We had every right to be worried the police announced the road would be closed until after lunch at least - Great! The driver suggested we go back on ourselves to the Mcdonalds in Ayr - not ideal but at least we can get fed and watered (plus free wi-fi).

So off we went picking up any truckers who wanted to join us on the way (the driver used his 2 way radio to contact them and let them know what was happening and where we were heading).

We were given the go ahead to drive back at 1pm but there was now 2 Greyhound buses waiting to go to the same place so we were all piled into one and the journey began again! - Road still closed on arrival.

After a further wait we were finally on our way - luckily without any further flaws! We arrived in Mission Beach after a journey of 18hours which should have taken 8!

Oh well better late than never! Rob watched the end sets of the tennis whilst I went and got a shower!



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

KerryKerry
Kerry

Between some funky art
ParakeetsParakeets
Parakeets

Sheltering from the rain
RobRob
Rob

Posing with jazz hands
Green ants nestGreen ants nest
Green ants nest

(identified thanks to our ants bottom experience)
Oh - OhOh - Oh
Oh - Oh

Not a good sign!
RobRob
Rob

Peeping through the driver's window
30.1.10-5.2.10 12230.1.10-5.2.10 122
30.1.10-5.2.10 122

Water Water everywhere!


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb