Mission Beach - Cairns (Already)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
February 1st 2010
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We woke up nice and refreshed (hostel is lovely) we decided to venture out for some breakfast shocked to see the blue sky and sun. We were told about a cafe on the nearby caravan park that does tasty cheap breakfasts (we were very impressed - so impressed we went back for lunch too).

Next we went for a walk not realising til it was too late that we had misplaced our map. We spotted some black cockatoos and even more amazing 2 wild dolphins! Headed back to the hostel and played volleyball and basketball in the pool until it was time to leave.

This time heading for Cairns (we can’t believe how fast this journey has arrived). We arrived in Cairns earlier than expected 5.45pm and were picked up by the hostel. Out we go to try find somewhere nice to eat. We order a pizza each(not realising the difference in size from back home) but manage to polish them off all the same!

An early night is in order!

02/02/10

After an average nights sleep we got ready and headed out for the lagoon, very hot again today thermometer showing 35 degrees!

We walked through the city browsing in all the shops (Rob is in his element with all the surf boards, clothing and dive shops).

We spotted a shop which hires out cameras in a waterproof casing (very appealing considering ours is playing up) after spending time contemplating this we bit the bullet and ordered one for our reef trip tomorrow.

As we were walking along the promenade we spotted an exercise station hosting chin up bars, a stepper and several other pieces of equipment. I started using the stepper (as per instruction) and Rob decided to turn the stepper into a box jump station. Considering his feet were wet from the lagoon this was not one of his brightest ideas - needless to say he did not last long before slipping off - damaging his calf on the way down - we watched it swell to the size of a golf ball remembering RICE we decided our best option was to elevate and rest. Great for his calf not so great for our skin! We frazzled despite all the sun cream we were smothered in!

Back to the hostel to clean up ready for
Coconut knifeCoconut knifeCoconut knife

Rob had a turn at cracking a coconut we found on the beach but gave in!
dinner feeling ever so sorry for ourselves! En route we picked up the camera spotting hundreds of red and black bats flying overhead. Backpacker special on the cards tonight - steak, chips and coke 10 dollars - Bargain!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Stinger Warning SignStinger Warning Sign
Stinger Warning Sign

(notice the vinegar underneath - used to neutralize stings - also dyed so we cant use it on our chips)
Mission BeachMission Beach
Mission Beach

This view was worth the 18 hour bus journey!
Kerry & RobKerry & Rob
Kerry & Rob

In black and white - En Route to Cairns
KerryKerry
Kerry

On the esplanade
Fish Spinklers Fish Spinklers
Fish Spinklers

At the Lagoon - Very Refreshing


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb