Windy Whitsundays


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
September 26th 2008
Published: October 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well well, we are struggling to keep up with our blog due to not being on land, or anywhere near civilization. In total I think that we have been away for 1 month now, of which we have spent over a week at sea! We have truly been bitten by the diving bug. From our dive logbooks we have been diving now for 12 days, in which time we have clocked up 15 dives. Still over half of which we have seen sharks!

Anyway, we have just returned back from 3 days and 3 nights out cruising around the Whitsunday Islands on a catamaran called Whitsunday Getaway. There were 4 couples on the boat including ourselves and 2 female crew, one from Ireland and the other from Sweden. Not an Ozzy in sight!

On our first day we cruised out to the islands watching the sunset on the calmest of seas I have ever experienced! When we went to bed it was as if we weren't even on the water, it was so calm! This was to change pretty rapidly though.

We woke up the next morning an cruised around to an amazing beach on Whitsunday Island (Whitehaven beach). and after a short bush trek we were able to paddle in the crystal clear water and take some great pictures.

After a short paddle it was back to the boat for one of the biggest lunches that I have ever seen ( the food on this cruise was immense - it was never ending and we even had meals in between meals).

The next few hours were spent sailing around some of the islands - the wind had picked up by this time and a few of the boats passengers were starting to feel a little ill. This was nothing compared to the winds that were come.

The next day the weather had changed completely, the sun had gone and the wind was around 25-30 knots. We all agreed that it would be a good day to be under the water so we clocked up another 3 dives and saw the most amazing coral gardens. There was some vibrant blue coral called staghorn coral. It seemed to me like it had grown in a protecting ring around the other coral. Unfortunately we don't have any pictures but it was crazy stuff.

On the third day we had all the weather, the sun was out but the wind was up to 30-35 knots. The skipper said that she could only sail in winds below 33 knots so we had to make a break for home while the wind apeard to have let up. This proved to be very amusing. With the wind in our sails and the skipper screaming out orders to her one crew member we shot from the Whitsunday Islands back to Airlie Beach over some massive waves, which crashed over the boat a drenched us all. Charlie and thoroughly enjoyed it, most people were smiling apart from one guy who was feeling ill, strangly this guy raced yaughts back in LA. Oh well, he was a bit of a dick anyway!








Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



2nd October 2008

Another great one
Thanks for another great blog folks, and marvellous pics. It was great to see and talk to you on Skype with Will today too - we really feel we've caught up with where you are. Keep on enjoying the heavenly honeymoon! xx

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb