Uluru and Kata Tjuta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
March 16th 2007
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Cocktails in the Desert
Days 6-7

After a three hour flight we banked hard right and skidded into Conellan Airport, gateway to Uluru. Dave was eager to drive on the other side this time.

We were welcomed by balmy a 37C day, cranked up the air and headed to the Ayers Rock Resort. The entire resort is run by Voyages, and they appear to own the hotels, town centre, airport etc. It's not cheap, but understandable given the isolated location. We stayed in the Emu Walk Apartments.

First night we went to the Sounds of Silence Dinner out in the desert - highly recommended, but a clear night makes all the difference.

Next day was cool thankfully, and we headed out to see the Olgas at sunrise - all i can say is Wow! We then did the Valley of the Winds Walk through Kata Tjuta - very tough 7km walk but not so bad with a bottle of water and a cool day. The views are the reward for the rocky climbs.

We drove around Uluru (good enough for me - now we have seen it, lets get on) had a few pints (Cascade again) then off to the Outback Pioneer Lodge for a St Patty's day celebration. The local pub shut down and everyone gathered at the Outback for green beers...it was an interesting crowd to say the least, and who would imagine drinking green beer in the outback?

Stumbled out of bed next day, drove out to Uluru and walked around it. Its a sacred place and you can understand why when you are looking up at it. Can't see why anyone would want to climb the thing, and the aborigines frown on it in any case.

The visit was short and sweet, Port Douglas and the Reef await.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Olgas at SunriseOlgas at Sunrise
Olgas at Sunrise

Unbelievable experience
Erin Go Bragh!Erin Go Bragh!
Erin Go Bragh!

Green beer in the desert?
Lord of the FliesLord of the Flies
Lord of the Flies

Next time get a fly net, Dave
Kangaroo in the BushKangaroo in the Bush
Kangaroo in the Bush

Dave spotted this guy on the Valley of the Winds Walk
UluruUluru
Uluru

How did it get there?
Outback PioneerOutback Pioneer
Outback Pioneer

A donnybrook is waiting to break out


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb