Manly Yes, But I Like it Too


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Manly
March 14th 2007
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 and 5 we spent exploring Sydney via the Ferry system, which is very neatly linked with the bus and trains, and for $15 you can ride them all day...we used our pass for a night run of the harbour later that evening. Dave and Sheila climbed Sydney Tower and saw the city in all its glory.

We headed off on the Manly ferry, and met Manny, who at 80 was a great storehouse of local knowledge and facts relating to the harbour. Manly is a real gem with a great beach, and abundant shopping and cheap food on the Corso. Sandra says that if we go back, our base will be Manly, and we'll ferry to Sydney as required...Ok by me, they have a rugby team.

After a day of riding the surf, it was off to the pub (Victoria Bitters) then back to the Rocks for dinner at the boisterous Lowenbrau.

Several nights we stayed in, and made dinner in the apartment. We shopped at Coles, and I was intrigued by the different selections of food brands not available in Canada. Pints were purchased at the Bottle Stops, which are abundant in Australia.
My Man MannyMy Man MannyMy Man Manny

You can't beat local knowledge

Next day we rode the ferries again to Watson's Bay (great views), Balmain, and walked the Bridge. We then had pints at the pub (Carlton Draught) and prepared to depart Sydney.

We left with some reservations, as Sydney is a great city, and we didn't see half the things we wanted. The people were friendly, it was clean, a little expensive, but bustling with activity and blessed with one of the most beautiful harbours in the world. We hope to return one day...



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Returning from ManlyReturning from Manly
Returning from Manly

How is this for an afternoon commute?
Watson's BayWatson's Bay
Watson's Bay

What a view
Bird of ParadiseBird of Paradise
Bird of Paradise

Near the ferry dock, East Balmain
Spam Singles!Spam Singles!
Spam Singles!

All this goodness in one convenient serving...I am never leaving Australia!
What the Heck is NutmeatWhat the Heck is Nutmeat
What the Heck is Nutmeat

I don't know, but it must be good on toast!


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb