Mataranka / Devils Marbles / Alice Springs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Devils Marbles
February 26th 2006
Published: February 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Devils MarblesDevils MarblesDevils Marbles

Despite all his efforts, Mike just couldnt push them off the edge!
We left Tenant Creek YHA at 10am this morning and after stopping to purchase a full tank of fuel began the 505km drive south to Alice Springs. After about 100km we stopped off at Mataranka thermal pool where Ollie went skinny dipping for 10 minutes. I decided against getting in as it just didnt appeal to me with lots of dead vegetation and scum on the surface of the water. We then drove a further 170km where we stopped off for pictures and a look around the "Devils Marbles" another weird collection of massive boulder like rocks, deemed by scientists to be the left overs from volcanic eruptions millions of years ago. Not sure about that one, but whatever they were, they were strange, a bit like the Pinnacles. We continued our drive down from the Devils Marbles and passed though Wycliffe Well, "Australia's UFO Capital" which has loads of documented UFO sightings, allegedly. We've come to the conclusion that this area seems so desperate to look anything other than remote isolated nothingness that they'll come up with any old crap to pull the tourists in.

We continued on from Wycliffe Well to Ti Tree roadhouse where we stopped to
Devils Marbles Part 2Devils Marbles Part 2Devils Marbles Part 2

I'd hate to be around when he's throwing these marbles about!
refuel and attack the less than appetizing bacon and cheese toasted sandwiches before continuing on to Alice Springs where we stopped for a photo of the town sign before arriving at our hostel the Melelanka in Alice Springs at about 3:30pm. We then popped into Todd's internet cafe to check on Justine progress and condition (http://www.justinelaymond.com) as well as the mundane issue of work emails et al. We then retired to the hostel to watch "Blackball" on DVD before catching an early night for tomorrows adventure in Alice Springs...

Mike


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

An Alien Encounter!An Alien Encounter!
An Alien Encounter!

The only little green man I saw....
Passing the tropic of capricornPassing the tropic of capricorn
Passing the tropic of capricorn

A less than impressive monument...
Welcome to Alice Springs, Australia!Welcome to Alice Springs, Australia!
Welcome to Alice Springs, Australia!

Or was that welcome to the arse end middle of nowhere???
How far away are we ???How far away are we ???
How far away are we ???

In the middle of nowhere, everywhere seems a long way away!


Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb