Daly Waters / Tenant Creek


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Daly Waters
February 24th 2006
Published: February 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Inside Daly Water Pub!Inside Daly Water Pub!Inside Daly Water Pub!

I wonder how much money the wall is worth!
After checking out of the hostel early this morning we began the 695km journey south from Katherine to Tenant Creek, and arduous, boring and somewhat tedious journey through scenery of nothingness broken only by a short pit stop at the "Historic Pub" in Daly Waters. Quite why the pub is historic is anyone's guess but many travellers who have stopped here before us have left small momentos of the trip stappled, superglued and blutacked to the walls and every available space in the pub, including, banknotes, bra's, boxer shorts, flags, beer mats, license plates and anything else that they deemed of inconsequential personal value.

With us being tight and less than interested in stapling legal tender or our boxer shorts to the bar we sat for a cold drink before taking photos and continuing the journey onto Tenant Creek where we arrived at about 5:30pm.

Having checked into the YHA hostel it took us only a couple of minutes to realise that there was about as much to do in Tenants Creek as there is being trapped inside an empty sealed cardboard box, until we discovered it had a lawn bowls club, something we had been meaning to give
Outside Daly Water Pub!Outside Daly Water Pub!Outside Daly Water Pub!

Dont expect much else around the pub - its in the middle of nowhere!
a try for ages. Over in Australia it doesnt appear as though it has the same stereotype of English bowls, i.e. no need to wear whites or be 75+ years of age to play.

We drove a short distance to the club where the kind lady introduced us to some over 75's who taught us how to play and how to bowl the bowls before we retreated to our own private bowling turf to throw some funny shaped bowls around in competition for a beer. Having beaten Ollie 11-5 at bowls we retired to bed having consumed the beer that I won off Ollie at bowls. Nice!

Mike

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0929s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb