Daly Waters - Alice Springs


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a great dinner at the Daly Waters Pub we were up early this morning and on the road at 7.30am ! Our first stop was the historic hanger and runway at Daly Waters. The hanger is the oldest in the NT and was used by commercial airlines as well as our armed forces during WWII.

Back on to the Stuart Hwy heading south we have decided to see if we can find the Longreach Waterhole just north of Elliott. Craig and Alison gave us some directions when we met them in Darwin and recommeded we call in. After some dodgy directions by Lisa we found the waterhole and were just in time to watch several thousand birds feeding on what we think were small bream. A couple who were camped at the waterhole had been watching the birds for a couple of days. It was fascinating, the birds all fly to the same spot on the waterhole and start feeding. The photos don't do it justice, it was amazing to watch, there were several different species of birds, with some stealing fish off others or trying to.

We didn't have many stops today as we wanted to try to get back to Alice Springs. We stopped at Aileron again to try to get a better picture of the sculpture there and we also stopped at the Tropic of Capricorn.

We are now in Alice Springs and at 8.30pm are ready for bed ! We will head off for Coober Peady tomorrow, might find an opal on the ground !

Our holiday is coming to an end and although we are dispointed to be leaving the warm weather we will be glad to get home and catch up with family & friends.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb