Alice Springs - Coober Pedy - Port Augusta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Augusta
August 9th 2011
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The last two days have been huge. Monday we drove from Alice Springs to Coober Pedy (900km) and today we drove from Coober Pedy to Port Augusta (550km).

Coober Pedy was a really intersting place. We drove in to town late on Monday night so didn't get to see much, we did go and have a beer in the underground bar. We took a look around this morning an had a tour of the old mine. The old guy who took the tour used to be a miner, he and his cousin started mining in the early 60's. We also checked out some of the opal shops and bought some lovely opal jewellery.

The drive from Coober Pedy to Port Augusta is pretty unintersting with the landscape being pretty much the same the whole way. We stopped in at Woomera for a look, an amazingly empty town, from the tourist info i picked up there are apparently between 200 and 300 people living there now (we didn't see them) and there highest population was 6000. There are heaps of houses and blocks of flats empty which looks really strange.

We arrived in Port Augusta just as it was getting dark so we haven't seen anything here yet, we will have a quick look around tomorrow morning before heading to Clare Vally or Barossa Valley (haven't made up our mind yet) from there we are on the home stretch !

Although we said we weren't ready to come home, now that we have hit the colder weather we can't wait to get home to the house.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb