Life in Technicolour


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Wollongong
April 29th 2009
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

South Coast NSW


Hello Friends. Here we are in February, March, and April of 2009. Hope you enjoy the pics. Lots of action, wildlife, travels, music, laughter, and fun! Like everyone else, we too have settled into a routine of school/work, sport, home, etc. Sorry no pics of that. Tune in next blog. Rah, rah, rah. DMG!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Happy Australia Day!Happy Australia Day!
Happy Australia Day!

Summer comes to a ending with this knockout of a day. We did the fair, beach, rides, bbq, and fireworks. Fair Dinkum.
Driving in AustraliaDriving in Australia
Driving in Australia

It's not driving on the wrong side that gets ya, it's the parking. Note: Check out bumper.
First Day of SchoolFirst Day of School
First Day of School

Finally, Year One!
SpearfishingSpearfishing
Spearfishing

Saturday morning swim in 2 m swells off the coast of Port Kembla, NSW. The catch of the day was small but tasty. Resisted nailing a stingray at point blank range, but what's the sport in that. Lots of Wobbygong Sharks too. Damn fishing regulations!
Symbio Wildlife ParkSymbio Wildlife Park
Symbio Wildlife Park

Gabe meets Heath the Koala.
John, Gwen and Ernie.John, Gwen and Ernie.
John, Gwen and Ernie.

Our American neighbours to the South. John volunteered at the park. Gwen is a sweety.
Eddie Van EchindnaEddie Van Echindna
Eddie Van Echindna

This friendly fella was looking for food.
Michelle Makes a MateMichelle Makes a Mate
Michelle Makes a Mate

Michelle and Gabe get nice and close.
Gabe Feeds The WildlifeGabe Feeds The Wildlife
Gabe Feeds The Wildlife

...perhaps a career in the zoological sciences?
Tawny FrogmouthsTawny Frogmouths
Tawny Frogmouths

Podargus strigoides, is an Australian variety of frogmouth, a type of bird found throughout the Australian mainland, Tasmania and southern New Guinea. The Tawny Frogmouth is often thought to be an owl. Males and females look alike, and are 35 - 50 cm long. They have yellow eyes and a wide beak topped with a tuft of bristly feathers. They make loud clacking sounds with their beaks and emit a reverberating booming call. Owls fly around at night hunting food, but Tawny Frogmouths generally remain sitting very still on a low perch, and wait for food to come to them. They catch prey with their beaks, and sometimes drop from their perch onto the prey on the ground. Tawny Frogmouths hunt at night and spend the day roosting on a dead log or tree branch close to the tree trunk. Their camouflage is excellent, staying very still and upright, they look just like part of the branch. The Tawny Frogmouth feeds on rats, mice, cicadas, beetles, frogs and other small prey. They catch their prey with their beaks rather than with their talons, another way in which they are different from owls. Tawny Frogmouth pairs stay together until one of the pair dies. They breed from August to December. They usually use the same nest each year, and must make repairs to their loose, untidy platforms of sticks. After mating, the female lays two or three eggs onto a lining of green leaves in the nest. Both male and female take turns sitting on the eggs to incubate them until they hatch about 30 days later. Both parents help feed the chicks. The chicks move to the edge of the nest and direct their droppings over the edge. About 25 days after hatching, the chicks are ready to leave the nest and lead their own lives.
Bald Hill, Stanwell ParkBald Hill, Stanwell Park
Bald Hill, Stanwell Park

This is the view south from Stanwell Tops towards the Illawarra. Note the Sea Cliff Bridge in the background. This is a popular take off spot for hangliders.
Sea Cliff BridgeSea Cliff Bridge
Sea Cliff Bridge

This marvel runs along the coast between Coalcliff and and Cliffton on the road back to Wollongong.
Gabe's First ToothGabe's First Tooth
Gabe's First Tooth

Hello Tooth Fairy!
Illawarra Live SteamersIllawarra Live Steamers
Illawarra Live Steamers

Some railroaders really love their job.
Steve and the Little SteamersSteve and the Little Steamers
Steve and the Little Steamers

Steve, Cam, Phillip, and Gabe take a ride on the Reading Railway line.
Coldplay Nation!Coldplay Nation!
Coldplay Nation!

We saw Coldplay live in Sydney @ the Acer Arena. What a show! Loved the butterflies!
Life in Technicolour IILife in Technicolour II
Life in Technicolour II

Please watch our newest favourite video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSovfzyx28
SatchmoSatchmo
Satchmo

I think to myself, What A Wonderful World!
Sue & PhilipSue & Philip
Sue & Philip

Gabe's mate takes a relaxed pose.
Memphis HornsMemphis Horns
Memphis Horns

Philip and Gabe ready for another round of "When the Saints Go Marching In"
Kings of Leon - Hello Cougars!Kings of Leon - Hello Cougars!
Kings of Leon - Hello Cougars!

Caleb Followill of the Kings wishes Michelle a Happy Birthday! See the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZfJ5ai07U
Blue BirdBlue Bird
Blue Bird

Pelican checks out the catch of the day. Kiama, NSW
Circular QuayCircular Quay
Circular Quay

Sydney skyline over the harbour.
HMAS SwinefluHMAS Swineflu
HMAS Swineflu

This docked cruiseship dwarfs both the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.
For The Love Of BeerFor The Love Of Beer
For The Love Of Beer

Watch my beer son.
The Eadys @ The Merchantile HotelThe Eadys @ The Merchantile Hotel
The Eadys @ The Merchantile Hotel

Here we are enjoying a cool one after a day at the Rocks Market, Sydney.


17th July 2009

Great Post
Love the pictures, and the various events and activities that you fit into your adventure.
17th July 2009

Hi Guys---love the pictures and glad you are having such a great time. What a great adventure and memories you are making.
17th July 2009

Wow ... what an adventure you continue to have!! Sure makes us want to travel (ok ... it makes ME want to travel!!). How much longer are you staying in the 'Land Down Under'?
17th July 2009

Love the photo's
Great photo's, now I'll check out the birthday song for Michele. Life is going ok...just one day at a time. When are you coming home...looks like the live out there is awsome why even come back. Take care and here from you soon. Love Dori. Kevin and Joshua, Hailey.
17th July 2009

Great to see some pictures and glad you are all doing well. Gabe, looks like you are having a great time with all your activities!
17th July 2009

Hey We really like the pics. Glad to hear you are having a BLAST! Tya really liked the picture of Gabriel's 1st lost tooth, and For the love of Beer LOL> We miss you LOTS! Can't wait to see U again. xoxo Tya
18th July 2009

ozzy land
Thanks for your pics in Oz. Looks like the fun is still happening! So many things to see, places to go! Keep up the good work! Love hearing from you guys.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb