Grant and Rae's Oz Trip Feb/Mar 2014


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 6th 2014
Published: March 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Lost last night's text..........2 blogs for the price of 1 today!

Left idyllic Tasmania yesterday after a very enjoyable 10 days with James and Clare. James took us to the airport while Clare returned to work.

Smooth flight to Sydney but don't know how we or our luggage survived the journey on the shuttle bus from the airport........manic driver who threw everyone's luggage around as if it was confetti! And he had the cheek to put a box out for tips - dream on!

Went for a bit of an explore and found out where we were getting picked up for sightseeing trips today. On the way back we got caught in an amazing thunder and lightning storm.....continuous claps of thunder and flashes of lightning that lasted 30 mins or so.

We came across St. Mary's Cathedral and went into the solemn sung Ash Wednesday mass - huge church, great choir (started in 1818......but none of the original guys could make it!), large congregation.

On the way back to the hotel, we saw some "birds" that turned out very large bats (about the size of a crow).

Pics of storm (missed the lightning, sorry) and cathedral attached.

On to today, Thursday......lots of pics taken. First bus trip covered the bridge, opera house, Arabanoo Lookout (named after the first Aborogine who was""persuaded to live among the European settlers - poor soul died of smallpox but had a lookout named after him!)Manly beach.

Then we did the Captain Cook Harbour Cruise and Lunch, a 2 hour sail around the harbour, starting at Kings Wharf,and a buffet lunch........some great photos, but I also enjoyed the desserts!

Then back on another coach to cover off the Rocks, the botanic gardens - Mrs. Macquarie's Seat, Bondi Beach (the home of "budgie smugglers" or Speedos). Ben, our driver and guide, was very informative......and refreshingly irreverent!

Back at the hotel, girding our loins for tomorrow's bridge climb!

Pics of opera house, bridge (multiple!) ManlyBeach and Norfolk firs, Rae on Mrs. Mac's Chair, the Gap at the entrance to Sydney Harbour between North Head and South Head, Bondi Beach, one of the "beautiful" people on Bondi beach!?!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



6th March 2014

Mum has ventured in deeper than normal

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb