Treking the Bush with David and Denise


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
October 15th 2012
Published: October 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

15 October 2012 Monday. Linda, Will, and I were not scheduled to be at Dancing Dave's home until noon, so we had some time to tour the Sydney CBD. Our first stop was the Queen Victoria Building right around the corner from our hotel. This shopping arcade was once left as derelict, but some historic preservation people recognized its worth and saved it from the developers demolition crew and turned it into a posh fashion designers mall...Victorian of course. We could only afford to window shop. Next we walked to Chinatown which isn't worthy of the name China or town as it is only about two square blocks with mostly Thai and Korean shops. We did find a store where we purchased some souveniers for our grandson Liam.

It was time to catch the train at the City Hall station and forty minutes later we arrived in Hornsby and caught a taxi to Dancing Dave's home. Denise was gardening while being observed by her cat Roco. We were welcomed and taken inside for a tour of the home and back garden. David turns out to be another Rennaisance Man as he is a master carver/sculpter of drift wood and a connaiseur of fine art and music. Surprisingly, he doesn't play any musical instrument, despite his love of music. His skill with his point and shoot camera is unsurpassed due to the lens he has attached to it...a fine instrument indeed. He is particularly great at portraits as every Travelblogger knows which he credits to putting his subjects at ease by looking at them while the camera is held at waist level...he can look down at a swivel screen to make sure the subject is in the frame! He then took Linda, Will, and me for a practice mini-trek beyond his backyard along the Great Northern Trail to look at the flora common to the bush.

After this practice run, David, Denise, Linda, Will and I, drove to a riverside cafe in the Berowra Valley for lunch. We then took the ferry across the river and drove to the Berowra Valley Regional Park where we parked and proceeded on our trek. David hadn't told us what to expect, so after awhile, as we approached this long incline, I asked when we were turning around. As it turns out there was much more in store for us! We followed the Berowra River for what seemed like miles, but Denise told us we had only traveled about one mile, which she kindly revised to 3 miles round trip after she saw our exhausted expressions. The trek was a truly Aussie experience. We saw a wide variety of flora and fauna, including a wild Echidna, one of the few mammals that lays eggs. Few Aussies see one in the wild during their lifetime, and we saw one on our first trek...what a priveledge!

Well, we survived to tell this story, and returned to David and Denise's home to relax and have dinner. At dusk the local birds arrived on their porch to eat at the bird feeders; including lorikeets, a female Giant Parrot, and a copper colored dove. Denise served spring lamb and a salad with sweet potatoes and other fresh vegetables. Here we learned of her skills as a chef; skills that complemented David's. We talked into the evening. At 9 pm Denise drove us back to the hotel and picked up her daughter who was nearby. What a special day for us!

16 October 2012 Tuesday. Our flight for Christchurch didn't leave until the evening, so we had until 3 pm to tour Sydney some more. After checking out of the hotel, Linda, Will, and I walked down Pitt Street to the Rocks area which is the original settlement of Sydney with old warehouses converted into chic stores. Linda found a store selling opal jewelry particularly interesting and after an hour or so had purchased Christmas presents for all the women in our families. We stopped at a few more stores and finished off our list. Then it was lunch at the Orient Hotel, one of the original hotels in the area. We then wandered back to the hotel and waited for Mike and Betty to return from their walk. At 3 pm we caught a taxi to the airport, checked in for our flight, and at 6:30 pm flew to Christchurch. We arrived there at 11:30 pm, caught a shuttle to an airport hotel, ate a late night pizza, and turned in. This was the beginning of our two weeks in New Zealand.

We realize we didn't do Australia justice by only spending three days in Sydney. We fully intend to return some day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



23rd October 2012
D&D's Home with David and Bob holding favorite Aussie Beer  (Courtesy of Dancing Dave)

Fantastic photo
Sorry that I could not meet you in Sydney so that I could spoil this photo by sitting next to both of you with a lemonade in my hand ;-) At least we were able to speak on the phone, so I was able to be involved, in a very small way, in your Australian visit.
26th October 2012
D&D's Home with David and Bob holding favorite Aussie Beer  (Courtesy of Dancing Dave)

Moderator get together...
even by phone it was good to get together!
23rd October 2012
D&D's backyard with David teaching Will how to pose

You're in tree fern heaven!!!
The tall one looks like Dicksonia antarctica and the one to the left, I believe is Cyathea australis :)
26th October 2012
D&D's backyard with David teaching Will how to pose

No...that's Will and Dancing Dave! Just kidding. I will leave it to David to confirm the plants but you are probably right.
23rd October 2012
Trek with David, Linda, Denise, and Bob  (Courtesy of Dancing Dave)

Now there are some ancient black boys :)
Xanthorrhoea australis if I'm not mistaken.....Gorgeous :D
23rd October 2012

Aussie Bush
So didnt that sign say maximum of 2 on the swinging bridge then there were 4 of you? hmmm :) But so very glad you got out into the aussie bush rather than just in downtown sydney. tam ps. my hubby works for the makers of the beer youre drinking so youre in the good books if you ever visit perth lol!
26th October 2012

Who reads signs!
Even with me and the other three the bridge didn't collapse, so they must leave a great safety margin. I look forward to having that great beer with you and your husband some day!
23rd October 2012
D&D's Home with David and Bob holding favorite Aussie Beer  (Courtesy of Dancing Dave)

CHEERS TO YOU
What a wonderful day showing Linda, Will & yourself the hidden secrets around our home, bush & waterways...in Sydney's North. Thank you for joining us and sharing your limited time in Sydney with us...we got on like old mates...testimony to Travelblog. We had to laugh when you wished to baulk at some of the climbing you had to do on our trek...but as I insisted on being tail end Charlie...what choice did you have? That was a Pamper Grade Trek by the way! The photo captures it nicely...two mates having a beer after a great day. Best wishes for the NZ portion of your trip. Give Linda another hug from us...and enjoy the memories of your brief trip to Sydney.
26th October 2012
D&D's Home with David and Bob holding favorite Aussie Beer  (Courtesy of Dancing Dave)

Thanks for introducing us to the Pamper Grade Trek. Next time I'll have to get in shape before visiting. Again...thanks for the memorable time. I'll get a South Island blog off shortly...presently in Rotorua and enjoying every minute!
23rd October 2012

That's my dream
Your blog is very helpful for me,thank you,this let me konw more.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb